Survival Tips for Lightning Above Timberline.

09 Jul 2010 01:18 - 12 Jul 2010 20:20 #1 by AlpineMike

Hoot Owl wrote: Curious, what would you do if you were caught above timberline in a lightening/thunderstorm?

First and foremost, check the weather forecast before setting out on a hike. Start early and get off mountain summits by noon and below timberline after noon. Look and listen for signs of possible approaching storms. Count the seconds between the lightning and the sound of thunder and divide by 5. The sum is the distance in miles the lightning happened.

For example: Thunder sounds 3 seconds after lightning flash. Now divide 3 by 5. Lightning is .6 miles away.

What to do if caught in a lightning storm (esp. above timberline):
Stay away from any water source like ponds, streams, or gulley's (keep in mind, snow is NOT a good conductor).
Get off mountain ledges, cliffs and summits. If possible, find the lowest, driest area.
Keep away from large rocks, trees, and/or other objects that stand high in the immediate area.
Note- Although not above timberline, small stands of trees or groves below a larger forest canopy make a good shelter from lightning.
Remove all metal objects like jewelry, trekking poles, frame backpacks (internal or external).
Rid yourself of all electronic devices. (GPS, watch, flashlight, radio)
When in a group, spread out. (Survivors can perform CPR on a lightning strike victim.)
If you have a backpack without a metal frame, use to create a layer of insulation between yourself and the ground.
Stay on your feet, tuck your head down between your knees while wrapping your arms around your legs, keeping your back hunched over. This creates a "shell" which the electric currant can wrap around the body rather than going directly through and destroying vital organs.
DO NOT lie down flat on the ground, this will allow the electric currant to reach vital organs in a direct line of path if struck.
Remember that tents DO NOT provide shelter from lightning. Tent poles can act as lightning rods.

PLEASE NOTE: I have memorized this information from hiking, mountaineering, and survival guides. This procedure does not guarantee lightning strike survival but may help decrease the odds of being struck in the open with little or no protection. :crossed: Please obtain info for areas you plan to travel for the most reliable safety precautions.
A couple books I recommend reading are Mountaineering "Freedom of the Hills" (unknown authors), Colorado Fourteeners and Colorado Thirteeners by Gerry Roach.

Other things I have experienced:

Lightning can happen at anytime, day or night.

Study mountain weather everyday (if possible) to recognize patterns, thus making personal predictions more accurate.

You cannot outrun a storm, physics always wins.

The more you are outdoors, the more exposure you risk taking. (Naturally)

Plenty of outdoor experience helps but Mother Nature is always the boss.

My passion for the mountains is what keeps me sane, alert, happy, and in touch with my vulnerability! Happy Trails and I hope we can all enjoy fun and safe times in the Rocky Mountains! :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2010 19:45 #2 by freebird
Very informative and some pointers I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks for sharing this information. Thanks, too, to Hoot Owl for asking the question.

One question I have is how to use the backpack (once all metallic contents are removed, assuming there is no metal frame) as insulation between you and the ground. I'm just not visualizing this. Where do you place your backpack to obtain the optimal insulation? Thanks in advance.

12 Jul 2010 13:34 - 12 Jul 2010 20:26 #3 by AlpineMike

freebird wrote: Very informative and some pointers I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks for sharing this information. Thanks, too, to Hoot Owl for asking the question.

One question I have is how to use the backpack (once all metallic contents are removed, assuming there is no metal frame) as insulation between you and the ground. I'm just not visualizing this. Where do you place your backpack to obtain the optimal insulation? Thanks in advance.

Stand on the backpack but remain in the position noted above. The backpack is a mat between you and the ground. This is a better lightning buffer than just the rubber soles on your boots.

12 Jul 2010 14:25 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Great tips. Also, it's lightning, not lightening.

12 Jul 2010 20:26 #5 by AlpineMike
Thanks Wayne, I thought "lightening" looked funny. : Embarrassed:

20 Jul 2010 20:01 #6 by stcroix2
Great tips! We also carry a "strike alert personal lightning strike indicator" which has worked flawlessly.

20 Jul 2010 21:38 #7 by LopingAlong
Thank you for posting this!
Very good to know.

22 Jul 2010 23:37 #8 by Photo-fish

stcroix2 wrote: Great tips! We also carry a "strike alert personal lightning strike indicator" which has worked flawlessly.

One would hope or you may not be posting right now.

http://www.strikealert.com/ProductInfo.htm

Sold in Colorado at:

Bent Gate Mountaineering
1300 Washington Ave.
Golden, CO 80401
(303) 271-9382 local phone
(877) BENT-GATE toll free
[url=http://www.bentgate.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.bentgate.com[/url]

Denver Athletic Supply
Englewood, CO
303-761-7773

All American Sports
3690 N. Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80917
719-574-4400
800-952-3947

Pappy's Golf Shop
3970 Sinton Rd
Colorado Springs, CO
719-633-2064

Mountain Chalet
226 N. Tejon
Colorado Springs, CO
719-633-0732

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

03 Oct 2011 06:17 #9 by cabinish
Thanks for the great info. Do rubber soles help?

03 Oct 2011 12:09 #10 by Martin Ent Inc
Only if you are a Beatle.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds