Warning about trails in the Mount Evans Wilderness

08 May 2012 09:44 #1 by ScienceChic
Warning about trails in the Mount Evans Wilderness
Deb Stanley

The Mount Evans Wilderness is filled with great places to hike including Chicago Lakes, Hell's Hole and Devil's Canyon. However, if you're planning to hike in the area, make sure you're prepared to climb over downed trees.

Last week, the University of Denver reported that its Observatory near the top of Mount Evans had sustained substantial damage from high winds over the winter.

Rangers with the Clear Creek Ranger District warned me that there are so many downed trees on the Chicago Lakes Trail that they may not be able to remove them all this summer.

Before you hike, contact the Clear Creek Ranger District for advice and information at 303-567-3000.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 May 2012 11:46 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
And be aware of the Naked Hiker.

08 May 2012 21:52 #3 by ScienceChic
Why? Is he cute? :biggrin: (I assume it's a "he" b/c women aren't silly enough to hike naked!)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

08 May 2012 22:23 #4 by AlpineMike
It is a good idea to check conditions of trails through the Ranger Districts.
I have taken the bull by the horns in many hikes.
Sometimes, I find that the Rangers do not understand the conditions of less popular routes. Many places I hike have very few visitors.
Always ask the Forest Service about trail conditions if you are not sure about access.
I noticed some places I want to go has no access from the entrance! Ask if the area is accessible for parking and camping. Is it even open? If not....you will be parking on the nearest road and hiking in further, or you will need to change your plans altogether.

08 May 2012 22:45 #5 by Photo-fish
Is there a good route from Summit Lake to Chicago Lakes? Round trip estimate?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

09 May 2012 05:53 #6 by LOL

Science Chic wrote: Why? Is he cute? :biggrin: (I assume it's a "he" b/c women aren't silly enough to hike naked!)

Saw some naked hikers up by St Marys glacier many years ago. Some were women too! LOL

Just hiking boots and socks. :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

12 Aug 2012 13:25 #7 by Photo-fish
The road and trail to Silver Dollar Lake and Murray Lake of Guanella Pass has been cleared.

I spoke with a Forest Service worker on top of Mt. Evans a few weeks ago and he said something about not allowing the use of any chainsaws in the wilderness areas at any time. Sawyers will need to pack in cross-cut saws and the like to clear the trails.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds