Tornado on Mt Evans yesterday!

29 Jul 2012 16:29 #1 by ScienceChic
Soooo...you don't have only lightning storms to worry about!

(C)2012 Chris Kirby, all rights reserved

A confirmed tornado touched down at 2:51 PM Saturday, July 28 near Mt. Evans, Colorado. The estimated elevation where this tornado touched down was 11,900 feet (estimated 1.75 miles northeast of Mt Evans Summit). This would make this tornado the 2nd highest ever recorded in the U.S.

US National Weather Service Denver/Boulder Colorado

Photo Gallery on 9News - lots of close-ups!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2012 16:41 #2 by otisptoadwater
Thanks for the photos and the links! Very cool to look at these pictures from the comfort of my home office. That would be a very bad situation to observe that twister up close and personal! Above timberline there aren't many options for shelter and I doubt anyone could out run it given the terrain.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

29 Jul 2012 16:53 #3 by ScienceChic
:biggrin: Despite how it looked in the movie "Twister", I don't think anyone on foot can really "outrun" a tornado that's that close if it's coming your way.

I had no idea they could happen at that elevation. My son freaks out at the thought of tornadoes so we've always told him they can't happen in the mountains (knowing they can but are just rare enough that he doesn't need to worry) and that he's safe - I'm not going to tell him about this one! :scared:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Aug 2012 09:39 #4 by Photo-fish
That would have been soooo cool to witness.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

05 Aug 2012 09:43 #5 by Raees
You don't "outrun" it, you move to right angles of its direction.

05 Aug 2012 10:15 #6 by Photo-fish
I wonder how many marmots and pikas were sucked up in that thing?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

05 Aug 2012 15:58 #7 by RY
Replied by RY on topic Tornado on Mt Evans yesterday!
wow, I had no idea... never thought about tornadoes in the mountains

05 Aug 2012 16:07 #8 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Tornado on Mt Evans yesterday!
Grrreat pics, thanks for sharing! Too close to where I live! Tornadoes at 11,000 ft..... WTF

Follow the Yellow Brick Road........

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

05 Aug 2012 20:05 #9 by bailey bud
South Park has had tornadoes...... so don't be getting too cozy about them being rare in the mountains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKiX-SLoN-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr2B0HTbdxk

06 Aug 2012 14:23 #10 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Tornado on Mt Evans yesterday!
South Park I can see, its a wide open flat area, even if it is near 10000 ft. But in the mountains near Mt. Evans? I think that is rare and I demand an explanation! :lol:

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds