Mountain Biker Tells Of Surviving Rattlesnake Bite

10 Aug 2012 10:43 #1 by ScienceChic
It pays to be aware of your surroundings, but even more so knowing what to do if you get bitten.

Mountain Biker Tells Of Surviving Rattlesnake Bite
Man Was Bitten By Rattler While Riding Devil's Backbone Trail
Lindsey Sablan,
August 7, 2012

"I never saw the snake at all, it was like a rock," Baney said. "It felt like a sting that felt like a yucca plant."

Park rangers said if you're bitten by a rattler, it's better to remain still because movement increases venom circulation. But Baney said he didn't have his phone and there were other snakes around.

"A mile into coming back, my lips started to quiver and go numb and tingling. And then I had a metallic taste in my mouth," Baney said.

Larimer County Park Ranger Stephen Gibson said it's been two years since the last report of a mountain biker getting struck by a rattlesnake. However, Gibson added that there have been twice as many rattlesnake sightings this year, than in past years.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2012 16:51 #2 by Photo-fish
Spoke with a Open Space Ranger last week and there have been 3 reports of rattle snake bites at Lair of the Bear Park on Bear Creek between Kittredge and Idledale. I know they are on Mt. Falcon and Waterton Canyon and Red Rocks park. The snakes at Lair O' Bear were small.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

10 Aug 2012 17:06 #3 by ScienceChic
The babies are actually more deadly - higher concentration of neurotoxin in their venom, plus being "inexperienced", they are more likely to strike than adults. Be safe when hiking!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Aug 2012 17:01 #4 by Martin Ent Inc
Rattlers are good eating.

12 Aug 2012 18:23 #5 by Something the Dog Said
Friend of mine was bitten while running on Table Mountain a few years ago. He ran down and drove himself to the ER (Lutheran). Almost passed out on the drive. It took massive amounts of antivenom to save him. I have seldom come up on rattlesnakes while hiking, but have on numerous occasions while mtbiking, particularly white ranch, Apex, Falcon. Never had one strike.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

13 Aug 2012 10:38 #6 by RY
wow, that is really brave. I freak out about snakes, let alone being bitten, I would probably die of shock just by encountering one LOL

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds