Need help picking rain coat

03 Dec 2013 20:40 #1 by bailey bud
So I'm horrible at making decisions......

Using a gift cert. from last year, as well as shopping a cyber-sale ---- I ordered two rain jackets from Cabelas:

Cabelas Dry-Plus MXP jacket
Cabelas Dry-Plus Tourney Trail Parka

(they're both on seriously good sales).

Any idea which one is going to be more useful in the mountains?

I've read reviews - and am torn

I think the Tourney Trail parka is absolutely awesome - but it is a little on the heavy side.

The MXP jacket seems pretty darn nice - but not sure it would do the job if I were to go back-country in the fall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Dec 2013 21:15 #2 by otisptoadwater
I find that lighter jackets make it easier to use layers instead of trying to make one or two heavy layers work instead. I would rather wear an insulated long sleeve under shirt, a thin over shirt, a fleece jacket, and then a breathable jacket over the top of it when I will be moving around in cold weather.

On the other hand, if I'm going to be stationary for long periods of time I'd replace the thin breathable jacket with a heavy layer to all of the rest of the above along with with heavy gloves or mitts, and an insulated hat.

En-route to a game stand or blind I'll be carrying the extra gear, once I get there I'll swap out the light jacket for the heavy one. Buy both? Maybe not, you can probably work out a system of layers that allows you to bulk up when sitting still and dress down when you are on the move. I guess I'm asking you which problem you are trying to solve; it's very likely I don't fully understand the question.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

06 Dec 2013 00:04 #3 by kethy
Replied by kethy on topic Need help picking rain coat
Right now I am present in Colorado resorts. I come with bus tours with my friends. we come in Colorado to enjoy our winter season and also the celebrate the charismas day in national Charest church which is famous for their traditions. However now I need some guide lines to getting the Rain coat to save myself from rain fall. We are stay in island from morning and now we decide to go back in our living room but suddenly weather become cloudy and the rain is start. Island is very far from our resort. Anyone have knowledge about the market in Colorado where we buy the rain coat you must guide me.

06 Dec 2013 07:25 #4 by bailey bud
In the resort area, Columbia Sportswear and Eddie Bauer in Silverthorne.

Enjoy your time in Colorado, Kethy.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds