Beaver Pond Fishing

12 Aug 2010 08:39 #1 by Photo-fish
OK article in the Denver Post on fishing beaver ponds.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_15735737

Anyone care to share their favorite spots or regions?

There used to be some nice beaver ponds on the Grant side of Guanella pass but they have been blown-out or destroyed in recent years. I also found many spent shells in the area and lack of activity makes me believe that these beavers may have been killed.

There are a few in the Kenosa Pass area, along the road to Jefferson Lake, Hall Valley Road, Abyss Lake trail, West Chicago Creek trail, west of Alma area nice sting as well.

The fishing can be tough at times but the trout are eager to take most small flies and you really can't beat the scenery.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Aug 2010 09:01 #2 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Beaver Pond Fishing
I’ve fished the beaver ponds on the Grant side of Guanella pass, I’ve caught a few fish but I think the Iron Fen http://www.co.clear-creek.co.us/OSWebsi ... aCreek.htm up stream affected the fish. Speaking of the Iron fen it’s well worth the walk, no fish but a unique geological site.
Back to beaver pond fishing, another area not to far is Rough and Tumbling Creek. Brookies on small flies, and you have to be sneaky
39.03.319N 106.05.283W

12 Aug 2010 10:56 #3 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Beaver Pond Fishing
Thanks for that link Grady. I have always wondered what the orange-red soil was from in that area.

Is that what gives the main stem of Geneva Creek past Guanella Pass Road that milky white color over the rocks?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

24 Sep 2010 12:38 #4 by 40coupe
Replied by 40coupe on topic Beaver Pond Fishing
Hey, Grady, Photo-fish, have either of you tried the Trout Creek that's NNW of Red Hill Pass?
Accessed through the Silverheels subdivision and FR192. FR192 goes a couple of miles N, finally
ending at Trout Creek. Planted Cutthroats and 'Native' Brookies abound, most living comfortably
in the numerous beaver dams. (Check with the DOW re: creel limits on this and other small creeks
where Cutts have been re-introduced . . . I'd keep some Brookies, and let the Cutthroats go.)

24 Sep 2010 13:12 #5 by 40coupe
Replied by 40coupe on topic Beaver Pond Fishing
And one other possibility you can check out on Google Maps:
Maybe a half-mile to a mile S/B on 285 from PC 60 - Hall Valley Road, look along the South side
of 285 for a long drainage that comes toward 285 from the South.

Follow back along that drainage on Aerial setting, then switch to Earth, which shows contours better. Doesn't that string of 3 - 4 large beaver ponds look inviting?
Have been meaning to get back in there to investigate. . . has anyone else on here been back along this drainage and fished these beaver dams?

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds