Major rescue underway of man stranded at 13,000 feet in RMNP

28 May 2014 14:15 #1 by ScienceChic
Always, always, always, whatever you are going out in the wilderness to do, whether it's camping, hiking, rock climbing, or whatever:
• Take proper gear
• Know your level of physical capability
• Let others know where you are going
• Know the forecasts for the area you are going to, not where you are
• Watch what's going on around you as conditions can change rapidly

Nature is unforgiving to those unprepared and ill-equipped. Hope this climber is rescued safely and learns an important lesson from this.

Major rescue underway of man stranded at 13,000 feet in Rocky Mountain National Park
The Coloradoan • Updated: May 28, 2014 at 2:02 pm • Published: May 28, 2014

Rocky Mountain National Park rangers are attempting to rescue a wayward hiker who is in an extremely precarious location on the east face of Longs Peak...at roughly 13,000 feet in elevation. Frappier did not report any injuries but indicated he could not go up or down.

Frappier is reported to be physically fit but has no technical climbing equipment and is an inexperienced mountaineer.

Read more at http://outtherecolorado.com/major-rescu ... PL6HgbO.99

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 May 2014 18:36 #2 by LOL
WOW!

They need SPOCK from Star Trek with JET pack, to the rescueeeeeeee!

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

28 May 2014 19:03 #3 by otisptoadwater
I hope the rescue crews are able to recover this young man safely, it would be a real shame for anyone else to get hurt in the course of rescuing this kid.

As mean spirited as this is going to sound I'm going to post it anyhow, I hope they extract all of the costs the rescue crews incur from this kid and/or his family. It's one thing to head into the mountains with the right gear and skills and then have a problem. It's another thing entirely to head up a 14'er in shorts and t-shirt with a granola bar in your pocket only to discover you haven't the means or the skills to reach the summit or safely make your way back down. It's like bringing a spork to a gunfight, you gonna die or maybe escape with some severe wounds and maybe take out a few people who know what they're doing in the process who came there to try and rescue your sorry ass.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

28 May 2014 21:05 #4 by ScienceChic
Update: he was safely rescued at about 6pm tonight. Thank goodness!

Rescuers save hiker stuck on Rocky Mountain peak
The Associated Press • Updated: May 28, 2014 at 7:46 pm • Published: May 28, 2014

Park officials said Samuel Frappier of Quebec was flown to a landing zone in the park and taken by ambulance to a hospital Wednesday evening.

Read more at http://outtherecolorado.com/rescuers-sa ... WIGPhzW.99

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds