Elk Falls at Staunton State Park

24 Oct 2014 10:02 #1 by ScienceChic
Rob Schaper took the hike at Staunton State Park recently to the Elk Falls overlook, shot this video, and graciously shared it with us. The pictures of the waterfalls that have been put out there certainly didn't do it any justice, this is magnificent!

It's supposed to be a gorgeous weekend - I think I'm going to try to head there myself!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 May 2016 13:19 #2 by FriendsofStauntonStatePark
Our president went up to Elk Falls last week and it's fully melted - the spring run off has made it glorious! You can see the short video on our Facebook page here . Give our Page a Like for future updates, more pictures and videos, and please Share yours on our page too! Thank you!

Friends of Staunton State Park's New Website!
Our Facebook Page
CPW's Page for Staunton State Park
Active park hours 6:00am-10:00pm
Park Phone: 303-816-0912
Mission Statement:
Our mission is working in partnership with others to preserve, promote, and protect the wildlife, natural beauty and historic legacy of Staunton State Park for current and future generations.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

15 Jan 2017 16:54 #3 by FriendsofStauntonStatePark
Eileen Greffard was so kind to not only visit Staunton State Park yesterday, but take this picture and share it with us on our Facebook Page - a gorgeous view of our frozen Elk Falls!

Elk Falls by Eileen Greffard

Our Facebook Page
Mission Statement:
Our mission is working in partnership with others to preserve, promote, and protect the wildlife, natural beauty and historic legacy of Staunton State Park for current and future generations.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

25 Jan 2017 14:14 #4 by FriendsofStauntonStatePark
Matthew Gibble shared this splendid photo of Elk Falls and eloquent recollection of his recent trip to Staunton State Park, and his first visit to Elk Falls on our Facebook Page:

"Thought you might like this. I'm taking one hour each week in 2017 to sit and observe the happenings in the world around us. This week I went to Elk Falls at Staunton. Enjoy!"

We think this is a spectacular goal to have: "spend one hour each week to sit and observe the happenings in the world around us." We deeply appreciate this beautiful photo of Elk Falls and finding out that someone had such a fantastic visit. We hope you all will do the same! Communing with nature is relaxing, stress-relieving, and can even stir the creative juices!

Without further ado, from Matt's blog entry, "Of Frozen Fall, Raven and Moss":

"This is my first time coming to Elk Falls. I’ve hiked many of the trails in Staunton State Park, one of Colorado’s newest state parks, which opened in May of 2013. The hike in is pleasurable, with the sun attempting to play peek a book among snowflakes and grey skies.

After more than two hours of hiking, the anticipation is great of this new place to explore. As I come to the bottom of a large canyon I am surprised by the silence. Winter has stifled a mammoth cascade and frozen it in her icy grip. I confess, that initially I am underwhelmed and disappointed but it is only 4 ½ minutes into my hour watch here at Elk Falls.

I marvel that at 35 minutes into my watch I have become lost in moss, it’s texture, how it creates a shelf for the soft, fluffy flakes of snow and I feel as if I am in a terrarium, ant like if I were to be seen from the high trail above me that I, myself, cannot see."

Read more here: myworldstandingstill.wordpress.com/2017/...and-moss-2017-01-23/

Our Facebook Page
Mission Statement:
Attachments:

22 Feb 2017 16:02 #5 by FriendsofStauntonStatePark
One of our fabulous Staunton State Park volunteers, Keith Festag, took a hike to Elk Falls this past weekend. FYI, he often teaches the Photography Classes in the summer at the park if you'd like to learn how he takes beautiful shots like this! Even in the winter, our falls are still glorious - come on out on a beautiful day like today and spend the day exploring our new trails to the base of the Falls! It's approximately a 13 mile round trip so figure about 7 hours give or take a little.

Our Facebook Page
Mission Statement:
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds