Big Game Hunting 2014?

02 Dec 2014 15:13 #1 by FredHayek
So how did people do this year? Traditionally I have been a meat hunter, went for cow elk in late season starting after Thanksgiving, we switched it up this year and went fourth season. No one got a tag through the draw so we had to use our landowner to get a Bull and Buck license.
I hunted the Bull tag, first day of the season, saw three herds of around ten animals. No bulls in the first, and only spikes in the other two bands. I held off, wanting a decent set of antlers. Big mistake!
Didn't see any animals the rest of the season.
My friend with the Buck tag missed a very nice rack, thought he was shooting at 300 yards but was 200 and overshot the animal. Did get a small buck later in the day.
Wierdest thing! We had hung the buck up in our normal spot, but when we went to retrieve it a couple days later, a flock of ravens were feeding off the animal! I have never seen this before in thirty years of hunting. Those dirty birds helped themselves to the tenderloin and had put big holes in numerous places. So we turned it into jerky.
Worst I have ever seen before was chickadees eating off the spare fat on an elk I had hanging for a couple weeks.
So if anyone is going in late season, watch your animals.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Dec 2014 15:20 #2 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Big Game Hunting 2014?
We bagged a turkey from Rustic Station. Does that count?

03 Dec 2014 07:31 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Big Game Hunting 2014?
You did better than I did! Although I do have deer jerky to munch on in the office fridge. :woohoo:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds