Designated Use Experiment Aug. 8 at Deer Creek Canyon Park

05 Aug 2015 14:31 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
A temporary designated-use study will take place at Deer Creek Canyon Park on Saturday, Aug. 8, that will affect hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers.

From 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Meadowlark Trail will be open for multi-directional use for hikers and equestrians and uphill-only east-to-west use for mountain bikers. The Plymouth Creek Trail from the intersection with Meadowlark Trail back to the parking lot will be open only for mountain bikers.

“We have no plans to implement these changes permanently at Deer Creek Canyon Park. It’s a temporary study to evaluate multi-use strategies for future trails,” said David Davenport, outdoor recreation management coordinator for Jeffco Open Space.

The trial is part of a working group of volunteer stakeholders created at one of Jeffco Open Space’s recent Trails Talk public forums.

Additional tests are scheduled for Deer Creek Canyon Park on Sept. 12 and Alderfer/Three Sisters Park on Aug. 29 and Sept. 27. Jeffco Open Space assures the public that it has no plans to implement any of these changes at either Park.

Jeffco Open Space was founded as a land conservation organization in 1972 to preserve land, protect park and natural resources and provide healthy nature-based experiences. Funded with a one-half of one percent sales tax, the agency has preserved over 53,000 acres and created 28 regional parks and 230 miles of trails in Jefferson County.

Thea Rock
Communications Manager
303-271-5902
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

jeffco.us/open-space/news/2015/designate...r-creek-canyon-park/

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2015 07:08 #2 by FredHayek
:campfire: I have friends on both sides of the equation, mountain bike riders, birders, and I hike the trails myself and this is a tough question.
"The bikers are out of control and dangerous"
"The hikers are too slow and unaware of their surroundings."

Personally I try to find very tough trails that bikes don't like or have to take it slow on.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Aug 2015 19:03 #3 by Mountain-News-Events
Another test is scheduled Aug. 29 at Alderfer/Three Sisters Park in Evergreen.

Jeffco Open Space testing separate trails for different speeds
Idea would put cyclists on different trails than hikers, trail runners and equestrians at future parks
By Joe Vaccarelli
YourHub Reporter
Posted: 08/27/2015 12:01:00 AM MDTAdd a Comment

JEFFERSON COUNTY — Jefferson County Open Space is running tests at two parks to see if separate trails for cyclists and hikers should be considered in the future.

The goal is to determine whether keeping groups traveling at similar speeds on the same trail is a good plan for new trails at Jeffco parks. Those on bikes traveling at higher speeds would get their own trail without having to dodge hikers, trail runners and people on horses, while other trails would be just for those on foot or horse.

Jeffco Open Space has been studying issues of overcrowding on park trails and formed a working group made up of cyclists, hikers, equestrians and county staff to study possible solutions and create a better experience for park users.

"The idea is to basically group users together by speed rather than user type," Jeffco Open Space outdoor recreation coordinator David Davenport said.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds