Above treeline -3 to 4 hrs

20 Aug 2010 18:55 #1 by RY
Having lived here for 15 years I think I've done it all - looking for a new trail above timberline near Bailey (at least for the most part) 3-4 hrs, maybe 5 tomorrow (Sat 21); any suggestions??? (did Square top, Bierstadt, AByss lake trl, burning bear, Meridian, Rosalie)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Aug 2010 08:25 #2 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Above treeline -3 to 4 hrs
Roosevelt Lakes is beautiful right now, Just take Tanglewood

21 Aug 2010 23:45 #3 by AlpineMike
Ever hike Ben Tyler over to Rock Creek? For a thru hike, it takes an overnight commitment with a proper vehicle shuttle.
As you reach timberline you can decide to summit South Twin Cone (12,265), Mount Blaine (12,303), and/or the Foster benchmark (11,871). The trail never exceeds 11,725 feet elevation but the Kenosha and Platte River Mountain ranges can be achieved using the Ben Tyler Trail.

In the winter, FS 126 (at Kenosha Pass) is a great snowshoe hike to North Twin Cone Peak (12,323). Summer will bring many 4x4 trail users. At the summit is a radio tower and an un-offical register. Expansive views of South Park will make the visit well worth the effort.

Another great hike that comes to mind is Bruno Gulch. Take Ganella Pass Rd. 62 and follow it about 1.5 miles past the Burning Bear campground and turn left (west) onto Bruno Gulch Road. Take the dirt road to the closure gate and park there. Hike Bruno Gulch Trail #600 to Red Cone Jeep Trail #565. From here you can wander a good area of alpine trundra. There are great southern mountain veiws here. :thumbsup:

22 Aug 2010 15:01 #4 by RY
Replied by RY on topic Above treeline -3 to 4 hrs
I have done Roosevelt Lakes and Tanglewood many times, yes its very beautiful.
Also did Ben Tyler but not to Rock Creek. Bruno is new to me, I think I'll try that one soon. Thanks for mentioning that AM
We ended up doing Meridian which is always beautiful w some great views; not really above tree line though.

22 Aug 2010 23:15 #5 by AlpineMike
Did you take any good photos of Mud Lakes while on Meridian?
The boulders on that mountain make the hike interesting and fun. I had a hard time keeping my dog from slipping between the boulders on the east side.
Looks like you get some nice bushwhacks in. Ever hike Mt. Logan? There are a couple ways to reach summit that fill your heart with desire.
Another good bushwhack is Windy Peak! The false summit on the north slope makes a good lunch break. The ammo box register makes for a warm summit welcome. It was not "windy" when I reached the top.

Other summits I like (a couple I still need to bag) include: Gray Wolf Mountain, Mt. Spalding, The Sawtooth, Epaulet Mountain, Otter Mountain, Argentine Peak, Decatur Mountain, Mount Guyot, and Mount Silverheels.

I also know many places below timberline that can keep you busy for any day off you have. I have lived up here for over 25 years and I feel I hardly scratch the surface of places to go. If only I could live to be 200 years old. :wink:

22 Aug 2010 23:38 #6 by AlpineMike
Oh, your picture has Buffalo "Freeman" Peak (giant one above The Castle) right of Pikes Peak. It does not reach timberline, but it is quite the challange!
Green Mountain is fun if you like benchmarks and lonely dense bushwhacks (round mountain on the top left side).
Not in picture: Crooked Top (south of Highland Park) is a good mountain to sharpen up you'r map and compass skills.
I love this place!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds