Elk Calving Season - Please Keep Your Distance

23 May 2018 14:38 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
It's about that time of year for elk to begin calving, and Evergreen Lake is one of their favorite places to have their babies. The elk mamas are very protective of their young and can get quite aggressive, with multiple reports of them chasing runners and their pets. Please enjoy them from a distance (long photo lenses and binoculars are great tools!) and help keep our wildlife safe and less stressed. Always be aware of your surroundings while out hiking as you can come across them nearly anywhere, not just at the lake.

Watch as an elk takes chase after a jogger
Watch as an elk takes chase after a jogger and his dog at Evergreen Lake. Colorado Parks and Wildlife says dogs and wildlife DON'T mix! Not only could your pet get hurt, but any wildlife that hurts someone has to be put down by CPW. A bad situation for everyone! We're told the man and his pet got away safely. Video courtesy: Diane and Allen Fiedler.

Elk EvergreenLake 2

Karen Christopherson
Published on Jun 12, 2015

Elk
National Park Service

Calving usually happens in tall grassy or brush areas away from the herd. Elk calves are born from late May into June and weigh about 30 pounds. Most cows give birth to one calf, but may also have two. Newborns have spots, which fade away by late summer. Calves can join the herd after two weeks and are weaned at two months old. Cows are extremely protective of their calves so use caution around elk at this time of year.

Elk primarily graze on grasses and forbs but they also browse shrubs. They feed mostly in the morning and evening, and seek sheltered areas during the middle of the day to digest.

Though we don't have any seasonal closures for elk or deer habitats around the Foothills, please be mindful of the stress we put on them by being too close and keep your distance during this time.
Seasonal Closures - Bureau of Land Management

BLM Colorado winter closures implements seasonal closures across the state to reduce disturbance to wintering wildlife during the most stressful time of year. Closing areas to human activity is important to allow deer and elk to conserve energy and survive the winter. When animals flee due to disturbances caused by people, they use calories that are needed to survive through the rest of the winter. Pregnant deer and elk are particularly sensitive to disturbances, and stand a better chance of survival when the habitat is free of interactions with humans and pets.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2018 21:39 #2 by Mountain-News-Events
Shared on our Facebook Page by photographer Jackie Crivello of an incident she witnessed at Evergreen Lake this morning:

This elk just attacked a lady and her dog. Please, please, please be careful walking the lake trail. It was terrifying to watch. I’m in my car as I saw this. I was tooting the horn like crazy to stop the attack. She doesn’t even like me in my car. Be careful out there

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds