Any Fly Tiers out there?

21 Aug 2010 18:20 #1 by Photo-fish
Where do you buy your materials?
What have you tied lately?
Your favorite local patterns? For bass or trout?

I am a novice. I tie only about a dozen or so patterns right now. Just what I use around these parts. I get my materials from Blue Quill or The Hatch. I used to go to the South Platte Angler in Conifer before it closed. I have some luck at at craft stores occasionally for beads or floss and chenniles.

I am tying lots of wooly buggers lately. Elk and deer hair caddis, bead head anythings and a wide variety of mystery flies and midges. Have a whole bunch of beetles but nowhere to fish for bluegills.

Once I start, it is hard to stop. I often find myself whip finishing my last fly at 2:00 AM.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Aug 2010 18:23 #2 by chocolove
Replied by chocolove on topic Any Fly Tiers out there?
I have scarlet macaw feathers for anyone that wants them. We get really tiny ones and we get big ones if you want them. They aren't all red either, we get blue, yellow, green, etc.

24 Aug 2010 08:08 #3 by Martin Ent Inc
I order from the internet. Also tie special jigs and things for Ice fishing. I am not real great but it is fun to catch something on a fly that you made.

24 Aug 2010 08:43 #4 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Any Fly Tiers out there?
I support The Hatch. :biggrin:
I've found over the years that I'm just to twitchy to tie a good fly. Heck my kids wouldn't even let me get out splinters on em. :VeryScared:

24 Aug 2010 08:58 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Any Fly Tiers out there?
Every year during the winter I think about learning to tie my own but just don't have the time. There used to be a fly shop not far me and the guys tried to get me over there on Wednesdays for the class. Now it is gone. So, how did you learn?

24 Aug 2010 09:07 #6 by Martin Ent Inc
Not hard at all. Videos, and books. Step by step at your own pace.

Oh and a couple beers might make that twitchy thing slow down. rofllol

24 Aug 2010 12:12 #7 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Any Fly Tiers out there?
Practice!! Books and videos were my start. I went to a few fly tying demos and had some exposure to tiers at my local TU chapter in Evergreen. I often buy one or two of a particular pattern (I like The Hatches selection too BTW. Good call Grady!) and then try my best, and often fail, to duplicate them. I tie some UGLY flies let me tell you.

I don't expect my flies to catch as many fish as the professionally tied flies that "Match the Hatch". Fishing in some of the pressured areas on the south platte can be very technical and the fish are smart and selective. When I have to, I'll buy them.

I like to think that by giving the fish something they might not have ever seen before may increase my chances of a hook up. Of course it is also a big thrill to catch something on a fly you tied yourself. When I go up to some high mountain lakes or back to WI for panfish they are not as selective and can use the same fly most of the day.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

24 Aug 2010 12:16 #8 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Any Fly Tiers out there?
There are some great online demos out there too.

Ever wonder what happens at your fly tying bench while you are asleep?

[youtube:3jxzu7ql]
[/youtube:3jxzu7ql]

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds