“I like setting an example”

15 Oct 2021 14:04 #1 by JeffcoOpenSpace
We have the best volunteers!

LaMese Hurrell-Coupe hikes all the time — on her own time and as a volunteer with Jefferson County Open Space.

Hurrell-Coupe holds many titles with the county’s volunteer program, including park patroller. Stall-cleaner isn’t one of those titles, but upon arriving for a recent patrol at Elk Meadow Park in Evergreen, Hurrell-Coupe made a straight line for the restrooms.

“I’m always checking the bathrooms for toilet paper,” said Hurrell-Coupe, who carries extra rolls of toilet paper in her vehicle. “If I’m going to be here, I’m going to do it. If people can’t use the restroom, where are they going to go?”

Hurrell-Coupe wears a green uniform with a name tag, forgoing a hat, but not a dark pair of sunglasses or a backpack stocked with extra water for parched park users and extra trail maps for hikers who may be lost. She carries a plastic bag to pick up dog poop that’s left on trails.

As Hurrell-Coupe goes about her business, she is perpetually cheerful.

Read more about her here denverpost-co-app.newsmemory.com/?publink=57a4705da_1345f60

Thank you to Kieran Nicholson for writing this article.
This story is part of The Denver Post’s Faces of the Front Range project, highlighting Coloradans with a unique story to share. Kieran Nicholson: 303-954-1822, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or @kierannicholson

Our mission is to PRESERVE open space & parkland, PROTECT park & natural resources, and PROVIDE healthy nature-based activities.
jeffco.us/open-space
Find us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @JeffcoOpenSpace
www.pinterest.com/lookoutmtnc/jefferson-...co-open-space-parks/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds