The Porcupine Encounter

03 Nov 2010 20:54 #1 by AlpineMike
My Lab "Gunner" and I go hiking virtually every weekend and enjoy it immensely. This Halloween I decided to go hiking to places with spooky names. I started out by Dead Man's Lake east of Guanella Pass and hiked to the north to Gray Wolf Mountain. It was a challenge walking thru the thick willows before reaching the Engelmann Spruce near tree line. To get a good view of Hells Hole I hiked the two lower 12,000 ft. points west of Gray Wolf Mt. on the way to summit. The snow was up to 24" deep on sections of the slope but I did not need snowshoes. After hiking about 4.5 miles I reached the Gray Wolf Mountain summit. The views are breathtaking! I could see Denver to the east, South Park to the southwest, and many 14'ers to the south and west. I enjoyed views of Grays Peak, Torreys Peak, Mt. Evans, Mt. Bierstadt, and a glimpse of Silver Plume and Georgetown. On the way down, I cut across the slope southwest to the spruce trees so I may take the same path thru the willows. I found a separate small path that I had not seen on the way up. This faint trail led me to an impressive spruce tree grove. Gunner was on a leash in front of me when he discovered this strange creature at the base of the spruce and some willow branches. "Spssst" was the sound the stranger made. When I heard that, I pulled Gunner back. It was too late and Gunner's nose, lips, and chin was covered in porcupine quills! I immediately backed off and worked around some brush to avoid more contact with the porcupine. I was able to get a glimpse of the angry porcupine from a different angle. It did not move, but kept it's hindquarters towards Gunner and I. I decided it was time to move on. Poor Gunner did not know what had happened and would have gone for more of the porcupine's defense tactics if he were not on leash. When we got home I made an effort to pull the quills from Gunner's snout. This was very difficult for me and painful for Gunner. I pulled 17 with small pliers before we decided it was enough. A day at the Vet and a few hundred dollars later Gunner was happy again. For me, well...gonna have to wait to buy the new hiking boots I want.

Point of the story?

I believe it is a good idea to keep your dog on a leash when venturing the wilderness lands of the great state of Colorado. :thumbsup: The porcupine may have sent hundreds more of the quills in my dog if he was not on a leash. Not only that but would have an opportunity to disturb many other types of wildlife.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Nov 2010 21:34 #2 by Hoot Owl
Replied by Hoot Owl on topic The Porcupine Encounter
Poor Gunner
You probably know this but others may not
Before pulling quills out, cut the end off, they will retract in size, and the barbs will cause less damage,when you pull them out. Check the dogs mouth and throat, If you see anything there go to the vet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds