Is 3D Worth It? A Talkback Discussion!

01 Jun 2011 19:32 #1 by ScienceChic
I have yet to see a movie in 3D (admittedly not many) that I'm impressed with the technology enough; certainly not enough to warrant the extra $ for the ticket. I love that AintItCool asks it members for opinions (and I like the creativity of some of their user names - anything goes - it's amusing in and of itself!).

Have any of you seen 3D and preferred it over 2D?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49846
Is 3D Worth It? A Talkback Discussion!
Published at: May 31, 2011
Nordling here.

It wasn't all that long ago that AVATAR was released, and James Cameron assured us (and continues to do so) that 3D is going to be THE way to watch films in the theater from now on. Whether it's an animated film, or big budget science fiction epic, or superhero film, 3D has quickly become the default release for these films, even going so far as to have a little blurb on the ads - "Also In 2D." Just in case you wanted to see the film in inferior technology.

I saw KUNG FU PANDA 2 in 3D, and let me tell you, I thought the 3D was fantastic. I'm especially particular about screen brightness, and at my screening, the picture was sharp, the screen well lit, and the use of the 3D in the film was immersive and fun. The arrows shot around and past the screen, and the use of depth of field was pretty much perfect. I think 3D works best with these animated films, as opposed to live-action or converted 3D. I'm sure CARS 2 uses it in a similar manner.

However, the 3D in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES was worse than useless - it was actually a detriment to the film.

Personally, when it comes to my choice for seeing a film in the theater, these days I choose 2D over 3D every time. It's not because I don't like 3D - done right, like in KUNG FU PANDA 2 or even AVATAR, it adds to the experience and makes the film more fun. But I've never seen 3D really add anything to the film as a story. But I don't think 3D should go away, either. I've seen it done right enough times that it makes the film more entertaining. Now, does it take away from the film? Does it turn the art of film into little more than a thrill ride? That's a debate that we can definitely have.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jun 2011 19:51 #2 by otisptoadwater
If you already wear glasses the 3D glasses on top are usually a PITA and restrict your field of view. Granted most of the effects in a 3D movie come from dead center of the screen into your face but for me its like watching a movie with binoculars or looking through a small picture frame over each eye. Same thing with the new 3D TVs, I have not spent a lot of time in front of one but I have checked out the in store demos and I don't like having to wear two pairs of glasses at the same time. I look forward to new technologies that may lead eventually lead to crisp, full color, high definition holograms but who knows if/when that day will come and what the price tag will be?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds