Cool Science Classics for Summer Reading

14 Jun 2011 22:15 #1 by ScienceChic
I've only read 2 of these, and have another 2 of them on my wish list - so much to do, so little time! :)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/ ... A_facebook
Cool Science Classics for Summer Reading
By John Horgan | Jun 14, 2011

I don't know about you, but I like nothing more in summer than settling down with a great science book. So here are 20 recommendations, in authorial alphabetical order, from A to J. Next week I'll give you 20 more. Some are new, some more than a century old, but they're all classics. And since science doesn't move nearly as fast as most people think it does, great science books remain surprisingly timely. I'm listing original editions, but these are all available in one edition or another on Amazon. This list, of course, is personal, idiosyncratic, argumentative and meant to provoke you into thinking about what makes a science book endure. Facts, ideas, rigor, substance? Or rhetoric, imagination, style? If ongoing research undermines a book's credibility (and a few books on this list come to mind), is it no longer "great"? Can it persist as literature? Okay, enough blather, here's the list.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds