7 TV scientists that even real scientists approve of

18 Jun 2011 00:26 #1 by ScienceChic
Continuing in the vein of TV scientists:

http://blastr.com/2011/06/a-scientistss-top-7-favor.php
Astronomer: 7 TV scientists that even real scientists approve of
By Phil Plait
Jun 15, 2011

In previous articles for Blastr, I've mentioned how hard it can be to be a scientist and watch science fiction. It can take years to get over the urge to hurl heavy objects at the TV screen when science is so carelessly trashed on your favorite show. I've gone through my share of TV sets ...

But with summer reruns upon us, there's time to reflect. After all, the good news is we're getting science and scientists shown in these programs. Maybe it's a caricature of scientists and the work they do, sure, but they're there. TV scientists can be pretty one-dimensional, usually either mad or dashing (or, rarely, both), but the scientists I know in real life run the gamut of funny, nerdy, smart, oblivious, socially awkward, socially ambitious, layered, shallow and complex. They are fat, thin, white, black, men, women, and every conceivable mix of all these traits. And sometimes we see that on TV, too.

That's why I thought, as an astronomer myself, I'd list my favorite TV scientists. My criteria for inclusion are not necessarily the science they do, but how they do it.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I would've put Dr. Samantha Carter and Spock as #1 and #2! One of my all-time favorites was Austin James (played by Parker Stevenson) in Probe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probe_%281988_TV_series%29 and, of course, Dr. Sam Beckett in Quantuum Leap!

I'd put Dr. Nicholas Rush from Stargate:Universe as a shining example of what not to become - when a brilliant scientist gets obsessed and loses perspective, but retains the arrogance that they are right no matter what!

Who would you add?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds