Amazon: Editors' Picks: Best Kindle Books of 2011... So Far

27 Jun 2011 22:03 #1 by ScienceChic
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=tsm_1_fb_s_ ... =353898011

Editors' Picks: Our 10 Favorite Kindle Books This Year... So Far

Welcome to the Best Kindle Books of 2011, the crème de la crème of literary gems--so many, we had to start letting you know about them six months in. Perhaps surprisingly, half of our favorite books so far this year were written by debut authors. All books were released for the first time between January 1 and June 30. Here's our Top 10 list:

1. Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff
Near the end of World War II, a plane carrying 24 members of the United States military crashed into the New Guinea jungle during a sightseeing excursion. This riveting story of deliverance under the most unlikely circumstances deserves its place among the great survival stories.

2. The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht
In a Balkan country mending from years of conflict, Natalia, a young doctor, arrives on a mission of mercy at an orphanage by the sea. There she searches for stories that "run like secret rivers through all the other stories" of her grandfather's life. So begins this fantastic debut novel.

3. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
Berlin, 1933--William E. Dodd becomes America's first ambassador to Hitler's Germany in a year that proved to be a turning point in history.

4. Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
Delectable, dripping with flavor, and tinged with adrenaline and years of too-little sleep, Gabrielle Hamilton's remarkable debut offers as much grace as vitriol and a distinct tenderness that marbles her meaty story.

5. The Tragedy of Arthur by Arthur Phillips
Hilarious and haunting, this virtuosic novel includes Shakespeare's (?!) lost King Arthur play in its five-act entirety and explores the tension between storytelling and truth-telling, the thirst for originality in all our lives, and the act of literary myth-making.

6. Bossypants by Tina Fey
Short, messy, and impossibly funny, Tina Fey's debut chronicles the differences between male and female comedy writers, her cruise-ship honeymoon, and advice about breastfeeding, getting to the heart of why this charismatic comedienne remains universally adored.

7. 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson
By the end of World War II, Silvana is a ghost of the wife Janusz once had. She and their seven-year-old son travel from Poland to England to reunite their family, separated for six years. So begins our favorite book of April, a stunning debut novel from Amanda Hodgkinson.

8. Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson
Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep, and her husband Ben is a stranger to her. Thriller writer Dennis Lehane said of this electrifying debut, "It left my nerves jangling for hours after I finished the last page."

9. Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer
Captivated by the competitors' secrets--like the current world champion's memorizing the exact order of 1,528 digits in an hour--science journalist Joshua Foer participates in the U.S. Memory Championship and tells the tale. Fans of Oliver Sacks and Malcolm Gladwell will love this book.

10. Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin
Kyung-sook Shin's elegantly spare prose is a joy to read. In this Korean bestseller, she tells the story of a mother--and her family's search for her after she goes missing--in four richly imagined voices: her daughter's, her oldest son's, her husband's, and finally her own.

See a full list of our favorite books so far this year

Also:
Best Business and Investing Books of 2011
Best Memoirs and Biographies of 2011
Best Science Fiction, Best Kindle Romance, and Best Mysteries/Thrillers also on the link above! If you're looking for something new to read, there's plenty to choose from!
Finally: Summer Reading

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2011 22:36 #2 by CinnamonGirl
This is my next book and I need to read it by football season. JMC has the book but it won't let him share it. Grrr.

http://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-Hidd ... 769&sr=1-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds