Top 10 Censored Books

29 Sep 2011 23:24 #1 by ScienceChic
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa ... 38,00.html
Removing the N Word from Huck Finn: Top 10 Censored Books
As publishers print a new version of Mark Twain's classic 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' without racial slurs, TIME takes a look at other books that have been bowdlerized
By TIME Staff Friday,
Jan. 07, 2011
10. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
9. Lolita
8. The Catcher in the Rye
7. Harry Potter Series
6. The Anarchist Cookbook
4. Candide
3. 1984
2. The Satanic Verses
1. Brave New World

I've read #s 10, all of 7, and 5, though I know I should've read all of the others by now. I like what it says about each time period, or subject matter, of what was "forbidden" or "unacceptable".

I'm curious: Are there any you've read that you were told not to by parents, teachers, clergy, etc?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Sep 2011 23:53 #2 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Top 10 Censored Books
I have read about half of them, and I can't remember anyone, ever, telling me not to read a book because of it's content. Or maybe I just never asked. Huck Finn and Catcher in the Rye were required reading in high school.

30 Sep 2011 09:44 #3 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Top 10 Censored Books

archer wrote: I have read about half of them, and I can't remember anyone, ever, telling me not to read a book because of it's content. Or maybe I just never asked. Huck Finn and Catcher in the Rye were required reading in high school.

Right there with you.

30 Sep 2011 11:22 #4 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Top 10 Censored Books
Send the bowdlerized versions to PC and let's keep reality here. Simply stupid rewriting history so it is politically correct. I really do not need to be sheltered and neither does anyone with an IQ over 80.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds