The latest dance craze, Gangnam Style

17 Oct 2012 12:45 #1 by ScienceChic
While up late working last night, waiting for stuff to load, I realized that I was probably going to hear Gangnam Style at the wedding I'm attending Friday and figured I'd better see if I can learn the dance (cheesy line dances reign supreme at receptions). I knew this was big, but had no idea - there are parodies all over the place! The artist is from Korea and there are 2 nice interviews by Ryan Seacrest with him (search YouTube and you'll find it). Smart, funny, down-to-earth person (he laughingly said he deliberately went for being a classy-dressed, cheesy dancing guy and the moves were all put together by him and his choreographer).

Apparently Gangnam means someone who's laid-back/normal during the day, then goes crazy at night. Psy wanted to portray a guy who goes crazy for a lady.
(After watching, I decided I will not attempt to learn this and dance it in the 3.5" heels I'm wearing, it's a twisted ankle waiting to happen) lol

The best parody!
[youtube:1qv9ey9y]
[/youtube:1qv9ey9y]

The original:

No parody, just dancing. But the best dancing of all the ones I watched!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Oct 2012 10:42 #2 by ScienceChic
For fans of Big Trouble in Little China...Lo Pan Style parody (ignore the cartoon-looking screen shot below, that's at the very end. and the original Lo Pan is in this!)
:biggrin:

[youtube:aiv0qu6c]
[/youtube:aiv0qu6c]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Nov 2012 10:48 #3 by ScienceChic
Awesome news:

PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’ surpasses Justin Bieber’s ‘Baby’ as most watched YouTube video ever
By: Rajat Agrawal | Nov 25th, 2012

PSY’s viral hit ‘Gangnam Style’ has overtaken Bieber’s ‘Baby’ with 805 million lifetime views against 803 million. What’s interesting to note here is that it took Gangnam Style just about four months while Baby has been around since February of 2010.

...Gangnam Style is being watched 7-10 million times a day!

I like this one from a previous album too:

[youtube:1fvc54q1]
[/youtube:1fvc54q1]

26 Nov 2012 15:33 #4 by Raees
[youtube:19mc6tw8]
[/youtube:19mc6tw8]

14 Dec 2012 16:51 #5 by ScienceChic
Though not the best parody, the geek in me loves it best! The time frame showing below is the best part of the video (@2min mark - check the guy in the background's expression!). :biggrin:

[youtube:16ofncww]
[/youtube:16ofncww]

14 Dec 2012 18:39 #6 by pacamom
Hugh Jackman was on Leno last night trying to teach Jay how to dance gangnam style. :biggrin:

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/166142/wat ... -two-cups/

14 Dec 2012 18:43 #7 by ScienceChic
Hugh Jackman needs to come to my house and teach me how to dance gangham style! :dance: :excited:

26 Oct 2013 17:45 #8 by ScienceChic
Continuing the Klingon theme... :biggrin:

[youtube:32jela73]
[/youtube:32jela73]

23 Apr 2020 09:21 #9 by ScienceChic
While doing a search for old threads here, I came across this one and remembered the craze at the time.

Gangnam Style, Dissected: The Subversive Message Within South Korea's Music Video Sensation
Beneath the catchy dance beat and hilarious scenes of Seoul's poshest neighborhood, there might be a subtle message about wealth, class, and value in South Korean society.
Max Fisher, The Atlantic | August 23, 2012

Park Jaesang is an unlikely poster boy for South Korea's youth-obsessed, highly lucrative, and famously vacuous pop music. Park, who performs as Psy (short for psycho), is a relatively ancient 34, has been busted for marijuana and for avoiding the country's mandatory military service, and is not particularly good-looking. His first album got him fined for "inappropriate content" and the second was banned. He's mainstream in the way that South Korea's monolithically corporate media demands of its stars, who typically appear regularly on TV variety and even game shows, but as a harlequin, a performer known for his parodies, outrageous costumes, and jokey concerts. Still, there's a long history of fools and court jesters as society's most cutting social critics, and he might be one of them.

Now, Park has succeeded where the K-Pop entertainment-industrial-complex and its superstars have failed so many times before: he's made it in America. The opening track on his sixth album, "Gangnam Style" (watch it at right), has earned 49 million hits on YouTube since its mid-July release, but the viral spread was just the start.

"I have to admit I've watched it about 15 times," said a CNN anchor. "Of course, no one here in the U.S. has any idea what Psy is rapping about."

I certainly didn't, beyond the basics: Gangnam is a tony Seoul neighborhood, and Park's "Gangnam Style" video lampoons its self-importance and ostentatious wealth, with Psy playing a clownish caricature of a Gangnam man. That alone makes it practically operatic compared to most K-Pop. But I spoke with two regular observers of Korean culture to find out what I was missing, and it turns out that the video is rich with subtle references that, along with the song itself, suggest a subtext with a surprisingly subversive message about class and wealth in contemporary South Korean society.

Korean Music: PSY's "Gangnam Style" and "Gangnam Oppa" in "Architecture 101" (1)
Jea Kim, My Dear Korea Blog | August 10, 2012

In part 2, she translates PSY talking about the making of his video and how he "felt pathetic himself while filing each and every scene in the MV. In fact, the scenes were meant to show crazy, pathetic, and also pleasantly deviant behaviors of people."
Korean Music: PSY's "Gangnam Style" and "Gangnam Oppa" in "Architecture 101" (2)
Making of the video:

The original (again, since the one I'd first posted back in 2012 has been deleted from YouTube):

23 Apr 2020 09:47 #10 by homeagain

OK...I'.m old school...BREAK IT DOWN

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds