tourism in Korea

09 Apr 2013 18:45 #1 by Blazer Bob
tourism in Korea was created by Blazer Bob
While I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Korea this would not be high on my list of places to go.

http://visitkorea.or.kr/ena/SI/SI_EN_3_4_1.jsp
"
Korea is the only divided country in the world. After the Korean War (June 25 1950 – July 27 1953), South Korea and North Korea established a border that cut the Korean peninsula roughly in half. Stretching for 2km on either side of this border is the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). As one of the last relics of the Cold War, the DMZ attracts a great deal of public interest, and is a popular destination for travelers visiting Korea. Despite the fact that this is the most heavily armed border in the world, it is extremely rare that any hostilities take place. These days the DMZ is a safe destination that we would thoroughly recommend to any traveler. The DMZ and its surroundings contain many interesting historical sights and pristine untouched natural surroundings.

Various organizations offer DMZ guided tours. Itineraries differ, but most tours will take visitors to an observatory, one of North Korea’s infiltration tunnels, a military base, and right into Panmunjeom, the Joint Security Area in the middle of the DMZ where negotiations between the two sides are held."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Apr 2013 22:32 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic tourism in Korea
I know two people who've been to Vietnam in the past few years and they absolutely loved it...not sure Korea would be the same experience or the experience I'd want. All of the Asian countries seem fascinating though. What did you like best BB?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Apr 2013 22:52 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic tourism in Korea
Shopping. I still wear a leather jacket I had custom made for me 25 years ago. We also still have a comforter bought in Korea. Every thing was so inexpensive I maxed on my plastic. That was my first deployment as a husband. My other deployments all I ever brought home was a very good sound system and speakers I bought in the Philippines.
I bought some raw opals in Australia when I was single as an investment. On an other deployment after Char and I got married I had them mounted in gold. I can't remember if I did that in Korea or Hong Kong.

Korea great shopping, terrible beer.

10 Apr 2013 06:06 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic tourism in Korea
I would love to visit Korea just not right now. And I would want to see both Korea's. I was in Berlin years after unification and you could still easily see where East Berlin started.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Apr 2013 13:40 #5 by Jekyll
Replied by Jekyll on topic tourism in Korea

FredHayek wrote: I would love to visit Korea just not right now.

[dark humor] I agree Fred, but if things kick off nuclear over there, you could be in for a helluva fireworks show! One could say that it's Bound to Be Entertaining?![/dark humor]

Really though, I'd like to visit and try some authentic Kimchi! (correct my spelling if I need it BB)

12 Apr 2013 14:07 #6 by Blazer Bob
Sorry, I ate it, never had to spell it. As a side note a lot of people think of it as cabbage but it is actually a process. In restaurants inhabited by locals, they applied the process to a lot of different vegetables.

16 Apr 2013 23:48 #7 by Jekyll
Replied by Jekyll on topic tourism in Korea

Blazer Bob wrote: Sorry, I ate it, never had to spell it. As a side note a lot of people think of it as cabbage but it is actually a process. In restaurants inhabited by locals, they applied the process to a lot of different vegetables.

Fermentation for like six months isn't it? And hotter than magma? YAY TIMMY!

12 Jun 2014 09:53 #8 by Blazer Bob

FredHayek wrote: I would love to visit Korea just not right now. And I would want to see both Korea's. I was in Berlin years after unification and you could still easily see where East Berlin started.

NORTH KOREA SEIZES, IMPRISONS US TOURIST FOR LEAVING BIBLE IN HOTEL ROOM

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014 ... Hotel-Room

12 Jun 2014 10:32 #9 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic tourism in Korea
OK, maybe I will go to Vietnam instead. They have some riverboat cruises on the Mekong that would be much less exciting than Apocalypse Now.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds