10 Science Fiction TV Spin-offs That Are Great in their Own

11 Jul 2013 14:01 #1 by ScienceChic
10 Science Fiction TV Spin-offs That Are Great in their Own Right
By Charlie Jane Anders
July 11, 2013

Soon enough, we're going to be watching spin-offs of The Vampire Diaries and Once Upon a Time, proving that too much of a good thing is never enough. Spin-offs often seem like pointless cash grabs — but there have been some fantastic exceptions. Here are 10 science fiction and fantasy spin-offs that actually rule.

My faves. Xena was a hell of a lot better than Hercules. I actually really liked the Stargate Universe spin-off - I was sad that they canceled it just when it was getting really good and meaty. Sigh. The best series are never well-understood or received and always canceled way too soon.
10. Stargate Atlantis
6. Mork and Mindy
5. Angel
3. Avatar: The Legend of Korra
2. Xena Warrior Princess
1. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2013 14:26 #2 by FredHayek
Interesting. I agree about Xena. Much more enjoyable than Hercules. I will have to give Deep Space Nine another chance, I am trying to re-watch TNG and I find it very dated.

Torchwood I liked more than Doctor Who, but Who is still pretty good.
Liked both Ashes To Ashes & Life On Mars(UK)

And guilty pleasure: She-Ra is much better than He-Man.

Do wish Xena, Ashes to Ashes, Life On Mars, were still playing on cable.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds