The Expendables

08 Aug 2010 16:59 #1 by ScienceChic
The Expendables was created by ScienceChic
First review is in! Caution: extreme language contained therein!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46060
Harry says - THE EXPENDABLES is a testicular masterpiece of manish awesomery!!!

The Expendables opens this Friday!

Stallone did a 5-part Q&A with readers on Aint It Cool News - this made me laugh out loud!

1. Mr Stallone, my question is this. Will you go and see Scott Pilgrim Vs The World on opening weekend if I go and see The Expendables? Bear in mind that I saw Rambo and Rocky Balboa opening day and loved them both.

Yours faithfully, Edgar Wright (age 36)
UK

p.s. neither of us have to see Eat, Pray, Love.

1. Edgar, I promise to see SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD only if you pull your spleen out through your nose with a tractor cable. Now, I admire the technology in SCOTT PILGRIM, I’m a supporter, I’m a fan of hard work and I believe this film is entitled to be a bona fide hit, but I truly believe if I were to grab the proverbial bag of bonbons and buttered popcorn and plop my carcass dead center preparing to enjoy the movie in all its glory, the ghosts of Charles Bronson and John Wayne would rise from their graves and snap me to death with oil soaked rat tail towels. So needless to say, I wish him well, but I gotta stay true to my roots so I’ll be watching EAT PRAY LOVE.

Also opening this weekend: Scott Pilgrim vs The World
an early review:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46023

Absolutely worth it. This is definitely worth seeing several times over. With THE EXPENDABLES releasing on the same day, it'll be a decidedly rare and awesome weekend at the movies.

In a cinematic abyss of cookie cutter unoriginality, SCOTT PILGRIM truly does stand out from the crowd, amidst only a small handful of other noteworthy titles this year (TOY STORY, KICK-ASS, INCEPTION, and hopeful TRON LEGACY and EXPENDABLES). I've said this several times before in this review and I'll end by saying it again: go see this film.

The hubby has to go on a work trip this week so I'm seeing a babysitter in my future and back-to-back viewings Friday matinee! Unless there's interest in getting a 285 Bounders group together to see the Expendables Friday night...???

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Aug 2010 13:12 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The Expendables
A couple of not-so-stellar reviews of the Expendables (caution: strong language contained there-in):
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46116
THE EXPENDABLES Is Frustratingly 'Eh', Says The Enemy!!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46106

Another glowing review of Scott Pilgrim vs The World and an interview with the male lead, Michael Cera, and director Edgar Wright:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46104

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46105

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Aug 2010 12:39 #3 by ScienceChic
Finally went to see this Friday night....Was mightily disappointed. (EM said it was the worst movie he'd ever seen and wanted those 2 hours of his life back! It wasn't THAT bad!).

Cons: The action took waaayyy too long to set up, the plot was a bit disjointed, some of it being utterly useless, and the acting flat.
Pros: Once the action got started at the end, it didn't stop and it Rocked! The soundtrack was really good too. Jason Statham did the best job, and Mickey Rourke wasn't bad either.

All in all, I'd give it a C-/D+.

08 Sep 2010 13:03 #4 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic The Expendables
we thought it was a bad movie

08 Sep 2010 13:06 #5 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic The Expendables
really? we thought it was good - a gathering the old boys crowd though.

26 Nov 2011 13:59 #6 by ScienceChic
Expendables 2...I can only hope that Van Damme is horribly tortured and killed if I'm forced to watch him on screen. :biggrin:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52017
"It's Time To Shoot In All Directions!" THE EXPENDABLES 2 Poster!
Published at: Nov 18, 2011
Nordling here.

...the 80s action movie geek in me just has to love this poster unabashedly. This thing just drips testosterone.

Source: JoBlo.com

11 Dec 2012 14:17 #7 by ScienceChic
Still haven't seen Expendables 2, but my friends who went loved it and it made bank so I guess I'll be renting it sometime.

Apparently, it's spawned an idea that warms my heart at least - a female bad-ass version ! Oh, the possibilities of who will be in it!!! They are looking to keep the theme of older action stars, so none of my favorites here except Lucy Lawless have been mentioned for roles, but I think they'd really make the movie so I hope the writer and/or director doesn't confine him or herself to that notion. Helen Mirren would rock. :thumbsup:

Who would you like to see in it?

Female ‘Expendables’ Confirmed; Big-Name Actresses in Talks
by Sandy Schaefer
September 2012

This is a banner year for blockbusters featuring modern action heroines, thanks to Haywire, The Hunger Games, Snow White and the Huntsman, and Brave.

Thus, there is no time like the present for an Expendables-riff that unites all the armed-and-dangerous babes who’ve graced the silver screen. Director Simon West (Expendables 2) has revealed a desire to incorporate an “Expenda-Belles” team in a future installment, name-dropping such gals as Angelina Jolie (Tomb Raider) and Helen Mirren (RED) as possibilities.

Now There’s a Competing “Female Expendables” Project: ‘ExpendaBelles,’ From ‘Legally Blonde’ Writers
Posted on Friday, October 12th, 2012 by Russ Fischer

From Forbes: Female Expendables: Does Hollywood Know Us At All?
Dina Gachman
10/23/12

15 Apr 2013 17:31 #8 by ScienceChic
Now this has some potential! Wesley Snipes is officially in Expendables 3.

Wesley Snipes joins THE EXPENDABLES as Sly courts Mel Gibson to helm
Published at: April 15, 2013

Hey folks, Harry here... If Sly gets Mel Gibson to direct an EXPENDABLES movie - then they need to make it THE WILD BUNCH of the franchise. A film that just ends the action genre. The UNFORGIVEN of the blow s*** up genre. Sly tweeted that Wesley Snipes joined the crew tonight and that makes me damn happy. Hope Snipes brings his A-Game.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds