Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

14 Nov 2013 12:15 #1 by ScienceChic
Rebooting the original Tom Clancy series that Harrison Ford skyrocketed, Chris Pine is taking over helm.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205537/
Chris Pine as Jack Ryan, Keira Knightley as his wife, and Kenneth Branagh as the bad guy...does it get any better? (Hmm, maybe if Iron Man showed up too) :wink:

http://www.shadowrecruitmovie.com/
Tentative release date Jan 17, 2014

[youtube:2pwg9jri]
[/youtube:2pwg9jri]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Feb 2014 13:03 #2 by ScienceChic
Finally went and saw it this past weekend. One word: nonstop. Excellent job setting up the character of Jack Ryan, going through his back story in a concise, efficient, effective manner to convey the key traits that would serve him well as he grew into his CIA operative role.

I was worried about the romantic angle being a distraction, and it wasn't bad, but not great either. The way it was written, it won't last which suits me fine. It's unnecessary to the development of the story.

Action was great, plot moved constantly, the attention to small details to reinforce his genius in tiny ways made me happy. Kenneth Branagh was brilliant as always. The scene in which he discovers Jack Ryan's fiancee has betrayed him and he just stares at her - it was so menacing that the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Wicked cool.

Draven dissects JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT and finds a hero to believe in!
Published at: Jan. 16, 2014,

Capone says a generic, uninspired spy story sinks JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT
Jan 17, 2014

Neat interview with Kevin Costner here:
Quint kinda visits the set of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit!
Published at: Jan. 7, 2014

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Feb 2014 07:15 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
Sounds good. Jack Ryan has to be one of the only fictional characters to be played by so many different actors, Ben Affleck, Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, and now Chris Pine. SC, see Pine as Kirk sometimes in the movie?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Feb 2014 10:48 #4 by ScienceChic
No, I didn't at all. One of the reviewers complained that he did fall back into being smarmy at times, but I hadn't noticed that myself (I could've been entranced by those dazzling blue eyes :Whistle though). I thought he did a good job changing up his body language; I personally was really annoyed at how he ran around with his mouth constantly hanging open in Trek and I'm so glad he didn't do that here, but made this his interpretation of Ryan. He wasn't comfortable being an operative in the field, despite his military training, and that's not something I saw in Affleck's or Baldwin's portrayals. It reminded me of Ford's and he was my favorite to have played this character.

Of note, in that Kevin Costner interview, he mentioned how Pine spent a lot of time asking him about other classic actors he's worked with. Costner seemed to feel he had a real appreciation for the history of acting, learning more about the craft itself, and was very curious about all aspects of production, indicating a possible interest in getting behind the camera some day too. I'm always happy to hear of someone who's trying to learn more about their profession, to improve their skills - it indicates a lack of ego and a realistic grounding making them a normal human being I can continue to admire and enjoy following (and less likely to end up Miley Cyrus style).

12 Feb 2014 10:52 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
Trivia: Chris Pine's dad was Robert Pine who played the commander of Ponch and Jon in the old series "CHiP's". Maybe one reason he is more interested in acting, it runs in the family.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds