The Next Hunger Games: Divergent

09 Dec 2013 19:22 #1 by ScienceChic
After I finished The Hunger Games trilogy, I started searching for similar books to be my next reads and found the Divergent series. I haven't gotten to them yet, but was happy to hear they've already been picked up for making into movies; the first comes out in March 2014.
http://www.amazon.com/Divergent-Series- ... 0062024035

In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. ...But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

[youtube:39ctmbiw]
[/youtube:39ctmbiw]

11 YA Books to Fill Your 'Catching Fire' Void
By Molly Horan
Nov 22, 2013

The good news: Catching Fire is almost here! The bad news: As soon as the credits roll, there won't be another Hunger Games film for a whole year.

To fill the dystopian void in your heart, there are plenty of other young adult titles filled with blood, love triangles, and strong female protagonists as The Hunger Games.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Dec 2013 19:46 #2 by FredHayek
I still need to read Divergent but I have already seen the movie posters. Maybe over the Christmas shutdown.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds