10 Forgotten Secrets of Great Movie-making From The 80s

12 Feb 2014 17:03 #1 by ScienceChic
Reading these made me wistful for the good old days. Especially Caddyshack. I watched a documentary about the making of that movie not long ago, and half the stuff that's in that movie would never fly these days...when did it get so sterile and PC?

I do disagree about part of #10 though - I think even the James Bond films have seriously decreased in quality theme song (I can't stand Skyfall).

What 80s movie theme do you love and miss? Me: The Goonies. It's got several - Kids who feel like real kids, a sense of camaraderie, taking time to develop characters, class consciousness, practical effects. Ghostbusters is a close 2nd, along with Real Genius (its theme song is my favorite of ALL time! - Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears) and Caddyshack. And St. Elmo's Fire.

10 Forgotten Secrets of Great Movie-making From The 80s
Charlie Jane Anders on io9

Everybody wants to recapture the glory days of 80s movies these days. Everywhere you look, they're remaking 80s classics or paying homage to the motifs of the Reagan era. But there's still something about the 80s that remains unique and special. Here are 10 things movies were good at in the 80s that they struggle at today.

1) Practical Effects
2) Taking Time to Establish Characters
3) A Sense of Cameraderie
4) Kids who feel like real kids
5) More Class Consciousness
6) Keeping it Small
7) Awesome theme songs
8) Non-Ironic Scares
9) More Daring Satire
10) Better Villains and Monsters

The images from Ghostbusters in the story will definitely make you want to pop in a classic tonight!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Feb 2014 17:24 #2 by FredHayek
It does feel like they try to jam too much action different storylines and too many characters into new movies. Avengers II is supposed to add two more heroes into an already overcrowded cast.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Feb 2014 19:07 #3 by otisptoadwater
My favorite 80's movies have great sound tracks, an actual story line, and just enough unpredictability to keep you guessing the first time you watched them.

[youtube:3mco3egr]
[/youtube:3mco3egr]

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

12 Feb 2014 19:13 #4 by homeagain
Out of Africa....circa 1985....character development
All time fav....When Harry meet Sally.....circa 1989 character development :pop

27 Apr 2020 12:47 #5 by ScienceChic
The magic never goes away when you start with a great movie and cast. This was just what I needed to start my Monday off right, hope you enjoy it as much!

The Goonies' Original Cast Members Are Reuniting for a Virtual Special
The 1985 cult classic famously starred Sean Astin, Josh Brolin and Corey Feldman
By Morgan M. Evans April 27, 2020

The Goonies are getting back together — thanks to superfan Josh Gad!

Over the weekend, Gad, 39, shared the news on his social media accounts that he would be hosting a special Goonies reunion on his series, Reunited Apart, to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the beloved movie.

Tomorrow, please join me at 9 AM PT/12:00 PT EST in support of #TheCenterForDisasterPhilanthropy as I reunite the ENTIRE CAST of #TheGoonies."

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Apr 2020 13:11 #6 by FredHayek
I think TV themes aren't as good as they used to be either. Rockford Files, Hawaii 5-0, Ellery Queen, and Barney Miller are so much better than today's.

Goonies? I never saw it as a kid so I watched it about ten years ago and only found it amusing, didn't have the love for it the people who came after me did.

27 Apr 2020 14:07 #7 by ScienceChic
I grok. I didn't see many of the Brat Pack 80s movies when they came out and by the time I watched them, they were mostly just annoying.

The Goonies is one of my all-time favorites though. Watching the cast doing their lines in that reunion made me laugh, tear up a bit at the end when they were singing, and feel really nostalgic. I still think they should do a sequel. :)

27 Apr 2020 16:49 #8 by FredHayek
Some films do seem generational. I loved "Sandlot", but others aren't impressed, or sometimes it really is that a movie gets so pumped up by devoted fans that new fans are disappointed after all the praise.
We just watched all the Seinfeld shows since we have been in quarantine and while I wasn't a huge fan when they were originally on, I appreciate them much more now. "Friends" might be next.

28 Apr 2020 07:01 #9 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote: I think TV themes aren't as good as they used to be either. Rockford Files, Hawaii 5-0, Ellery Queen, and Barney Miller are so much better than today's.

Goonies? I never saw it as a kid so I watched it about ten years ago and only found it amusing, didn't have the love for it the people who came after me did.

The Wonder Years.....(1988...six season)....am I the ONLY person who thought it was a treasure?
Story lines, character development, staging for the decade was superb....thoughtful, timely
in bringing forward current events, a "must watch" evening of entertainment

28 Apr 2020 08:30 #10 by FredHayek
We probably should give the Wonder Years another try. We have also heard "The Goldbergs" is quality entertainment. Plenty of time to binge shows, right?

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds