Twenty rules for writing detective stories

23 Feb 2014 17:01 #1 by Blazer Bob
Other than Sherlock Holmes I never got into detective stories. Reading this it sounds like I may have been missing something.

Any suggestions for a good detective read that is available on kindle?

http://www.yankeeclassic.com/miskatonic ... -rules.htm

"MISKATONIC UNIVERSITY
Department of Literature

Twenty rules for
writing detective stories
by S.S. Van Dine
(pseud. for Willard Huntington Wright)

American Magazine
(September, 1928)

The detective story is a kind of intellectual game. It is more — it is a sporting event. And for the writing of detective stories there are very definite laws — unwritten, perhaps, but none the less binding; and every respectable and self-respecting concocter of literary mysteries lives up to them. Herewith, then, is a sort Credo, based partly on the practice of all the great writers of detective stories, and partly on the promptings of the honest author's inner conscience. To wit:

1. "...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2014 07:53 #2 by FredHayek
I like Lawrence Block. His best character is Matthew Scudder, a former NYC detective who has a battle with the bottle and eventually winds up as a half assed PI.
Another favorite is Travis McGee, another guy who does favors for others trying to get back fortunes from conmen.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Feb 2014 09:28 #3 by homeagain
MANNO....there are so MANY.....spy/intrigue which would be BRAD THOR (grabs you on the
first sentence and does not let you go)....all based on REAL information/technology.

Then there are the forensic anthropologists (detectives) mysteries...too many to type

Stuart Woods EARLIER WORKS, (he has become a 'sell out" for $$$ pumps them out every
6/12 months).....we started with SANTA FE RULES and work backward from there (and slightly
forward)

Robert Crais (we started with SUSPECT) he grabs you first sentence also.....(I love those
kind of authors)

THAT should get you started...... :)

24 Feb 2014 16:14 #4 by Blazer Bob

FredHayek wrote: I like Lawrence Block. His best character is Matthew Scudder, a former NYC detective who has a battle with the bottle and eventually winds up as a half assed PI.
Another favorite is Travis McGee, another guy who does favors for others trying to get back fortunes from conmen.

Thanks,I just downloaded In the Midst of Death. It is in my que. I will give it a try.

24 Feb 2014 16:22 #5 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote: MANNO....there are so MANY.....spy/intrigue which would be BRAD THOR (grabs you on the
first sentence and does not let you go)....all based on REAL information/technology.

Then there are the forensic anthropologists (detectives) mysteries...too many to type

Stuart Woods EARLIER WORKS, (he has become a 'sell out" for $$$ pumps them out every
6/12 months).....we started with SANTA FE RULES and work backward from there (and slightly
forward)

Robert Crais (we started with SUSPECT) he grabs you first sentence also.....(I love those
kind of authors)

Thanks, I am downloading Unintended Consequences for my que. (on sale 4.99 vs 7.99 and 10)

Also Crais The Last Detective for the same reason.

I will splice them into my SF and Jack London books already in the carousel.

24 Feb 2014 22:39 #6 by Mtn Gramma
I really enjoy reading Michael Connelly, Jeffrey Deaver and Harlan Coben. Even if you figure out the bad guy there are twists and turns that keep you not quite sure.

I like Lee Child's books also, but they get pretty violent and stretch believe-ability. But I read them nonetheless. :)

25 Feb 2014 07:15 #7 by FredHayek
Lee Child & Jack Reacher? Used to have to pre-order them but eventually tired of them. Did like the ones set in a fictional eastern Colorado town.
And totally hated when they hired a midget to play Reacher in the movies.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Feb 2014 07:47 #8 by homeagain
AND then there are the SouthWestern mystery writers....Tony Hillerman, and Margaret Cole
many more in that gendre.....ALASKAN mystery writer would be Dana Stabenow and Sue Henry
(with the 2014 Iditarod here in just a few days....HIGHLY recommend these reads.)

01 Mar 2014 10:01 #9 by homeagain
GOOD website to keep up on forthcoming/recently released books..... www.stopyourkillingme.com

07 Apr 2014 21:28 #10 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote: MANNO....there are so MANY.....spy/intrigue which would be BRAD THOR (grabs you on the

forward)

kind of authors)

Thanks for Robert Crais. He did grab me from the first sentence. I just finished The Last Detective. Definitely a page turner.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds