Oscar Disconnect: Top Box Office Movies Earned 4x More than

27 Feb 2014 18:29 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kristine-m ... nated-movi

Gasp.

..."According to Movie Guide, nine out of 10 of the highest grossing movies of 2013 contained “strong, or very strong Christian, Biblical or moral worldviews” and “no explicit sexual nudity, no Anti-American or anti-patriotic content.” But just one (“Gravity”) of the top 10 box office films was nominated for Best Picture. Some of the other Best Picture nominees read like caricatures of liberal and licentious Hollywood products. There’s the anti-Catholic “Philomena.” “The Dallas Buyers’ Club” is an AIDS drama featuring a transvestite character, and “The Wolf of Wall Street” is full of wild drug abuse and orgies – not to mention more than 500 uses of the word “f**k.” (In the meantime, the Academy of Motion Pictures disqualified the obscure Christian-themed film “Alone Yet Not Alone” from the voting for Best Original Song over what amounted to a technicality.)"...

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kristine-m ... z2uZlmMurj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Feb 2014 20:25 #2 by archer
Other than the fact that the movies that make the most money are the most "popular", I don't think that should be the criteria for being the "best" movie. There are a lot of really bad movies made over the years that made a lot of money. Nice to know that money alone doesn't buy a best picture nomination. That said, who really cares? I would go to a movie that interests me, with or without an award.

The article reads like sour grapes to me.

27 Feb 2014 20:41 #3 by Blazer Bob

archer wrote: Other than the fact that the movies that make the most money are the most "popular", I don't think that should be the criteria for being the "best" movie. There are a lot of really bad movies made over the years that made a lot of money. Nice to know that money alone doesn't buy a best picture nomination. That said, who really cares? I would go to a movie that interests me, with or without an award.

LOL. Your post sounds like sour grapes to me.

27 Feb 2014 20:55 #4 by archer

BlazerBob wrote:

archer wrote: Other than the fact that the movies that make the most money are the most "popular", I don't think that should be the criteria for being the "best" movie. There are a lot of really bad movies made over the years that made a lot of money. Nice to know that money alone doesn't buy a best picture nomination. That said, who really cares? I would go to a movie that interests me, with or without an award.

LOL. Your post sounds like sour grapes to me.

???

Do you think how much money a film makes should be the criteria for determining if it is in fact an Oscar worthy film? Isn't that what the people's choice awards are for?

28 Feb 2014 07:07 #5 by FredHayek
And many of those high box office movies are kid's movies. So while I liked Frozen and the Lego movie, neither of them are really Oscar worthy.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds