10 Book Series That Would Make Excellent TV Shows

04 Mar 2014 10:27 #1 by ScienceChic
I'm excited because of these 10, I've only read one so I've got some new material to check out! Anyone else read any of these? BlazerBob, in the comments someone recommended Casebook of the Black Widowers by Isaac Asmiov - have you read that one? There's lots more suggestions in the comments of the story below too. Anything to add to the list?

I'd like to see a mini-series for Stranger in a Strange Land, but it probably wouldn't be too popular. :tongue:

Robin Hobb , one of the recommendations below, is a fantastic writer though I have to admit that her Farseer Trilogy ripped me up emotionally - it's dark and seriously depressing at times - there's no happy, happy, joy, joy ending for the sake of perking you up and making you feel good. No, she is brutally honest and realistic; despite that, I couldn't put the books down once I'd begun because they are gripping and you are immediately invested in the characters. I own her Liveship Traders Trilogy as well, but haven't been able to bring myself to read it yet. I'd love to see her work on-screen!

Here's the list, go through to the link for pictures and descriptions of each of the series. Intriguing!
10 Book Series That Would Make Excellent TV Shows
Charlie Jane Anders
3/03/14

Nowadays, a lot of the best TV shows are based on books, especially book series. But the amazing thing about science fiction and fantasy books is, there's always more riches to explore. We've barely scratched the surface, in fact. Here are 10 more book series that would make terrific TV shows.
• The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson

This ambitious, huge series is nothing but political conflicts and complex worldbuilding, with a huge dose of philosphy thrown in. The first colonists land on Mars and debate the ethics of terraforming the planet, and incidentally humanity's place in the universe. Over time, the series also gets into questions about how to organize scarce resources and the best form of government.

• The Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett
• The Patternist Series by Octavia Butler
• Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner
• The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
• Chronicles of the Deryni by Katherine Kurtz

What's great about these novels, especially in the wake of Game of Thrones, is that they're as much about politics, and about who will rule the Eleven Kingdoms, as about magic, or good versus evil. They're sprawling political sagas, based on real medieval history and succession challenges, in which magic is another weapon in the political feuds.

• The War Against the Chtorr by David Gerrold
• Fitz & Fool series by Robin Hobb
• The Bordertown Series by Terri Windling, Mark Alan Arnold et al.
• Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Mar 2014 10:32 #2 by FredHayek
Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever
And the author wrote a classic space series that was very good but so explicit only a pay channel would be able to play it.
Honor Harrington by David Weber would make another good series, might be a little expensive to produce.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds