"Her"

23 Mar 2014 10:22 #1 by FredHayek
"Her" was created by FredHayek
:clap: Finally got around to see this film written and directed by Spike Jonze and was pleasantly surprised. The protagonist was in the midst of coming to terms after his wife divorced him and fell into a relationship with an operating system voiced by Scarlett Johansson. It journeys into fresh territory and ends with a surprise. :wink: Was a little upset that dead cat choking lady didn't get an Oscar nomination, but her role was too original for formulaic Hollywood.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Mar 2014 10:34 #2 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic "Her"

FredHayek wrote: :clap: Finally got around to see this film written and directed by Spike Jonze and was pleasantly surprised. The protagonist was in the midst of coming to terms after his wife divorced him and fell into a relationship with an operating system voiced by Scarlett Johansson. It journeys into fresh territory and ends with a surprise. :wink: Was a little upset that dead cat choking lady didn't get an Oscar nomination, but her role was too original for formulaic Hollywood.

OT

23 Mar 2014 11:00 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic "Her"
:Confused: Image missing?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Mar 2014 11:34 #4 by Blazer Bob

ScienceChic wrote: :Confused: Image missing?

I can see it. Not sure where I got it, here is a different one. It was a big deal ~60 yrs ago.

23 Mar 2014 12:15 #5 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic "Her"
Now I see it, thanks!

Sounds intriguing, I'll check it out. Thanks guys!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Mar 2014 12:43 #6 by Blazer Bob

ScienceChic wrote: Now I see it, thanks!

Sounds intriguing, I'll check it out. Thanks guys!

Sorry Fred. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Until I chased down the fuzz in my brain I was thinking the Haggard story was an earlier version of "her". Or "Her" was an updated version of "She".

SC, let me help.

H. Rider Haggard
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sir H. Rider Haggard
Henry Rider Haggard 03.jpg
Born Henry Rider Haggard
22 June 1856
Bradenham, Norfolk, England
Died 14 May 1925 (aged 68)
London, England
Occupation Novelist, scholar
Nationality British
Period 19th & 20th century
Genres Adventure, fantasy, fables,
romance, sci-fi, historical
Subjects Africa
Notable work(s)
King Solomon's Mines,
Allan Quatermain Series,
She: A History of Adventure
Signature
http://www.riderhaggardsociety.org.uk
Sir Henry Rider Haggard, KBE (22 June 1856 – 14 May 1925) was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and a founder of the Lost World literary genre.[1] He was also involved in agricultural reform throughout the British Empire. His stories, situated at the lighter end of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential.

24 Mar 2014 15:06 #7 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic "Her"
Back on topic, in the movie, they call her an operating system, but I think she is closer to an AI. Personally I have always found the idea of an AI interesting, like in Wintermute in Gibson's cyberpunk stories, but I would imagine if Google or Amazon supplied Americans with an AI, it would want to datalog all your choices and encourage you to buy as much as possible.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds