Ethnocentric much?

14 May 2014 08:42 #1 by Blazer Bob
Can you imagine yourself in the mind of a technologically advanced, illiterate, ritualistic cannibal? Well can ya?

You don't have to: "anything you can do" randall garrett.

Still reading it and very impressed. I looked it up expecting it to have won some awards but that is not the case.

Tastes differ. It is a free read.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30742

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 May 2014 08:54 #2 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic Ethnocentric much?

BlazerBob wrote: Tastes differ.

Good one for so early in the morning. :wink:

14 May 2014 09:11 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Ethnocentric much?

Mtn Gramma wrote:

BlazerBob wrote: Tastes differ.

Good one for so early in the morning. :wink:

Thanks. Believe it or not that was unintentional. What I should have said is the cannibal in question is an alien who crash lands on Earth.

14 May 2014 15:13 #4 by Mtn Gramma
I was curious about the title and cannibalism so I wandered Amazon and GoodReads to find out about the book. Not to my "taste" but I couldn't resist remarking on your pun. :)

14 May 2014 16:11 #5 by Blazer Bob

Mtn Gramma wrote: I was curious about the title and cannibalism so I wandered Amazon and GoodReads to find out about the book. Not to my "taste" but I couldn't resist remarking on your pun. :)

Does it make it any punnier if it was not intended. :Confused:

I finished the story. I withdraw my nomination for a Hugo. Still I thought parts were very artful and interesting.

I bring this up to perhaps pique someones interest. The alien did not eat us because he was a savage but because by his standards he was a gentleman and we were savages.

Edit: do you know of any genre of sf that is to your "taste"?

14 May 2014 21:43 #6 by Mtn Gramma
I haven't read a lot of it. Last I read (and sorry, can't remember the title) was the one where the aliens inserted a worm type thing in the back of people's necks. The earthlings trying to avoid being taken over had a cave hideout in the desert. I really enjoyed that one. A movie was made based on the book and starred the female lead in The Bridge TV series.

14 May 2014 22:07 #7 by Blazer Bob

Mtn Gramma wrote: I haven't read a lot of it. Last I read (and sorry, can't remember the title) was the one where the aliens inserted a worm type thing in the back of people's necks. The earthlings trying to avoid being taken over had a cave hideout in the desert. I really enjoyed that one. A movie was made based on the book and starred the female lead in The Bridge TV series.

Don't know the lead or the Bridge.

The only thing that comes to mind based on your description is "The Puppet Masters".
Did not know it had been made into a movie but turns out it had.

[youtube:1wspih8j]
[/youtube:1wspih8j]

15 May 2014 13:29 #8 by Mtn Gramma
The book/movie is The Host. Movie sorta/kinda followed the book but the book was way better than the movie.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds