The dark legacy of Carlos Castaneda

16 Jun 2014 06:28 #1 by Blazer Bob
Wow. Long essay. I read the first half. I had no idea he was taken that seriously. I did not have to be an anthropologist or working on a PhD to figure out it was a hoax.

The one take away I remember is to not walk with anything in my hands. It is bad for posture or kept me from turning into a crow and flying. Something like that.

http://www.salon.com/2007/04/12/castaneda/

..."In spite of this exhaustive debunking, the don Juan books still sell well. The University of California Press, which published Castaneda’s first book, “The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge,” in 1968, steadily sells 7,500 copies a year. BookScan, a Nielsen company that tracks book sales, reports that three of Castaneda’s most popular titles, “A Separate Reality,” “Journey to Ixtlan” and “Tales of Power,” sold a total of 10,000 copies in 2006. None of Castaneda’s titles have ever gone out of print — an impressive achievement for any author.

Today, Simon and Schuster, Castaneda’s main publisher, still classifies his books as nonfiction. It could be argued that this label doesn’t matter since everyone now knows don Juan was a fictional creation. But everyone doesn’t, and the trust that some readers have invested in these books leads to a darker story that has received almost no coverage in the mainstream press.

Castaneda, who disappeared from the public view in 1973, began in the last decade of his life to organize a secretive group of devoted followers. His tools were his books and Tensegrity, a movement technique he claimed had been passed down by 25 generations of Toltec shamans. A corporation, Cleargreen, was set up to promote Tensegrity; it held workshops attended by thousands. Novelist and director Bruce Wagner, a member of Castaneda’s inner circle, helped produce a series of instructional videos. Cleargreen continues to operate to this day, promoting Tensegrity and Castaneda’s teachings through workshops in Southern California, Europe and Latin America."...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2014 08:19 #2 by homeagain
HOWEVER, a Harvard trained physician, who turned into a prolific writer....ALSO entered into
that "realm". Michael Crichton began to understand that the physician's path he elected to
follow was NOT a good fit. In the mid70's to about the mid 80's he explored not ONLY the physical world (traveling) he also journeyed INWARD and wrote about that exploration in a book
called "Travels"......(his experiences seem to DUPLICATE the Castaneda experience/phenomenon)

Just ANOTHER view into the vast "inner" reaches of another realm. :twocents:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds