WWII Hero, 'Unbroken' Subject Louis Zamperini Dies

03 Jul 2014 09:16 #1 by ScienceChic
Dom and Jane (Mix100 Morning Show) just announced yesterday that this is their Book Club Selection of the month so you can get it at discount at any Tattered Cover. I'm really looking forward to Angelina Jolie's movie adaptation of this, coming out this December. It sounded like quite the epic journey to get the movie made (which I can't seem to find the link for now, but it was over 20 years in the making).

WWII Hero, 'Unbroken' Subject Louis Zamperini Dies at 97
12:42 AM PST 07/03/2014 by Debbie Emery
- See more at: www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wwii-hero...sthash.rDWKQDSH.dpuf

www.today.com/entertainment/angelina-jol...all-along-2D12164322

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2014 14:06 #2 by JMC
I enjoyed the book, he was a strong and courageous man.
We don't make them like him very often.

14 Jul 2014 09:58 #3 by ScienceChic
Trailer came out 2 days ago. Looks great!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Jan 2015 18:44 #4 by ScienceChic
Went and watched this a few days ago with hubby and my MIL. The beginning was a little disjointed with the way they did the editing between scenes of his childhood, getting into running, and being in the army, but after the plane went down and they were stranded at sea, that issue went away.

Hubby's only complaint was a scene near the end where he's being tortured by The Bird - it didn't go down the way it did in the book (he's read it) and he didn't like the way they portrayed it in the movie (can't say that I cared for them showing The Bird getting "broken" either, it wasn't believable at all).

Excellent flick. Go see it!

The following user(s) said Thank You: otisptoadwater

02 Jan 2015 19:08 #5 by otisptoadwater
Thanks for the recommendation. I was going to dip in to my stomach pump fund and fork over how ever many skins they get for a showing at the movie house these days after I saw the trailer on TV before Christmas. The positive feedback on the movie just makes me want to see it sooner.

:like:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds