RIP Anton Yelchin, Chekov on Star Trek

19 Jun 2016 14:10 #1 by ScienceChic
740 KVOR (@740KVOR)
6/19/16, 12:21 PM
"Star Trek" actor Anton Yelchin, 27, killed in car accident. TMZ reports he was found pinned between his car and a mailbox at his house.

'STAR TREK' STAR ANTON YELCHIN DEAD AFTER FREAK ACCIDENT

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2016 08:35 #2 by FredHayek
What a weird freak accident, and a horrible way to go. I liked his Checkov, luckily we get to see him one more time next month.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Jul 2016 21:27 #3 by ScienceChic
While I'm saddened by the loss of a fine young actor, the decision to not recast the part surprises me. There's always been a Chekov; the part transcends the actor. Hell, the original actor who played Chekov is still alive. I'm sure whatever direction they go with for a new character will be fine, but I think Star Trek is going to be missing something by not having Chekov. JMO
J.J. Abrams Says He Will Not Recast Anton Yelchin's Role in Star Trek Film Series
By Dave Quinn @NineDaves
07/20/2016 AT 08:35 AM EDT

A month after Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin died in a freak accident, filmmaker J.J. Abrams says his role of Pavel Chekov will not be recast in the film franchise.

The 50-year-old producer, who directed the first two films in the big screen reboot, told The Toronto Sun that Yelchin's character will be retired in future adaptations.

"I would say there’s no replacing him," he said. "There's no recasting. I can't possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better."

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Jul 2016 09:56 #4 by FredHayek
;) How about having Chekov's sister replace him in the next movie! How was the film? Going to see it Sunday in 3D Imax. :2thumbsup:

23 Jul 2016 10:15 #5 by ScienceChic
Now that's an awesome idea! I'd love to see a slightly different version of Chekov. :)

The movie was entertaining. The music they played in the trailers that made it seem cheesy and too pop-oriented actually fit well in the plot. The character developments were good, the pace of the action moved right along, and the visuals were nice. We saw it in 3D (not IMAX, just regular) and it was worth it. My favorite part was McCoy needling Spock about something he gave Uhura - you'll know it when you see it, as you might laugh out loud like I did. ;)

It's still not close to my favorite Trek movies, but I'll happily watch this again without cringing or screaming obscenities like I did with the last one. :biggrin: The best part was I went with my son and afterwards he's asking me all these questions to get the history of the relationships between the characters, so I'm having to go over both timelines. What a fun discussion! I started showing him the original TV series episodes last year, but it fell off our radar - I think we'll get back to that because he wants to see the original movies and I told hm he can't until he watches the TV episodes and sees the bonds develop between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy - you just don't get the full weight of what happens without that backstory, especially if you're watching The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, or The Voyage Home.

Let us know what you think of it when you see it FH!

23 Jul 2016 21:21 #6 by FredHayek
Cool that you introduced your son to the original series, still my favorite. Love Urban as McCoy, probably my favorite character in the movies.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds