Wonder Woman

23 Jul 2016 14:17 #1 by ScienceChic
Wonder Woman was created by ScienceChic
Sweet trailer just came out at Comic Con!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jul 2016 12:02 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Wonder Woman
I like that the movie is placed during WWI. A welcome change from most superhero movies. And I was worried the actress wouldn't be able to measure up to Lynda Carter, but I like the tone of the movie, much grittier than the old TV series, but still enough humor.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 Nov 2016 09:39 - 04 Nov 2016 09:43 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Wonder Woman
This looks totally Bad Ass. The last trailer left me a little worried at some of the scenes, but this one makes me really excited to see one of my childhood idols brought to the big screen!

Edit to add:
Wonder Woman is in theaters June 2, 2017.

Follow #WonderWoman on social media:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/wonderwomanfilm
Twitter: twitter.com/WonderWomanFilm
Instagram:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 Nov 2016 09:56 #4 by ScienceChic
It's interesting that she brings up Buffy as a comparison, as this movie was originally to be helmed, years ago, by Joss Whedon. He would've created a fantastic story and character as well.

The new, perfectly-timed Wonder Woman trailer is peak 'nasty woman'
By Rebecca Ruiz
Opinion
November 3, 2016

I'm not a comic book geek. I don't really know Wonder Woman's story. But when I watched the trailer for Wonder Woman, I felt a surge of giddy pride and bittersweet emotion.

For one of the first times in my life, a female superhero is the star of her own blockbuster film. She's not a sidekick, love interest or arm candy. She's fierce, brave and physical. And she considers it her "sacred duty to defend the world."

A lot of women feel that way, actually, but we've almost always been relegated to the margins of the hero's journey. We become the mother, the mistress, the witch, the hypersexual nemesis. Never are we on the front lines battling evil.

It's hard to believe that we had to wait until 2016 for this vision. When it aired nearly two decades ago, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Joss Whedon-helmed TV series that ran for seven seasons, radically transformed my view of gender and heroism.

Watching that show as a teenager and young adult, particularly in the year after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, gave me a visual and emotional vocabulary for what it looks like when a woman saves the world. When Buffy slayed demons with purpose and a sense of humor, the metaphor translated easily to my every day life. In a moment of doubt or crisis, I could watch an episode of Buffy, see a woman demonstrate physical strength and mental resilience in literally incredible scenarios and feel capable of pushing myself to the limit.

07 Nov 2016 16:00 #5 by FredHayek
Need to check it out, love that the film will be set in WWI.

17 Mar 2017 14:56 #6 by ScienceChic
This trailer makes me happy and very excited to see this!

08 May 2017 21:13 #7 by ScienceChic
I really, really hope this lives up to my expectations! Wonder Woman was my favorite comic book heroine as a child.

Wonder Woman: What We Learned From the Final Trailer
by Renaldo Matadeen in CBR Exclusives
May 8, 2017

The fourth and final “Wonder Woman” trailer arrived Sunday night, and it may well be the best advertisement for the film to date! The trailer hit several different emotional notes in terms of the narrative used by director Patty Jenkins, indicating along the way that it could well be Warner Bros’ most balanced DC Films outing to date in terms of character depth, humor and, of course, over-the-top action. While we’ve already seen much of the teaser’s two-and-a-half minutes of footage in some form or fashion already, the new material shed additional light on what to expect when Diana of Themyscira arrives in the world of man.

So far, Warner Bros. has done an awesome job in keeping the main villain, Ares, under wraps, and the mystery continues with the final trailer. We do get some glimpses of David Thewlis’ Patrick Morgan (theorized to be Ares’ human form) and Danny Huston’s General Erich Ludendorff as characters who are clearly concerned with Diana’s heroic actions, but of much more interest is what we learn about the mysterious Doctor Poison (played by Elena Anaya) from Steve Trevor’s interrogation on Themyscira.

05 Jun 2017 23:59 #8 by ScienceChic
Quint reviews Wonder Woman!
Published at: June 2, 2017, 6:08 p.m. CST by quint

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Wonder Woman is really damn good. Let's get that out of the way right up front. I know it's not the most unique opinion out on the internet right now, but it's true. The movie has a few issues, which I'll get to, but the thing it gets right (and the reason why critics are overwhelmingly supportive of it) is the big ol' beating heart at the center of the story.

This is not a deconstruction movie. This isn't another brooding DC hero. Diana Prince is not only pure of heart and spirit, she's also having fun. She is by far the most empathetic superhero we've gotten on screen since Christopher Reeve's Superman. She sees pain in the world and she doesn't have an internal struggle over what to do about it. She acts. Even without knowing the extent of her powers she will put her life on the line for strangers.

While that starting off point was the norm in the very first superhero movies back in the day, it's a dangerous way to go these days.

Capone reviews and rejoices at the arrival of WONDER WOMAN!!!
Published at: May 31, 2017, 12:40 a.m. CST by Capone

The truth is Gal Gadot makes playing Wonder Woman appear both difficult and easy. Diana is meant to be one of the planet’s great beauties, and Gadot ticks that box quite effectively, but when she enters into battle, the men around her literally can’t contemplate what they’re seeing, including Trevor, even though he knows exactly where she comes from and what she is. It’s like they’re seeing a UFO for the first time or a species for which there is no visual frame of reference to identify. The idea that a half-naked woman can end a year-long battle in a matter of minutes is something their minds simply cannot comprehend, and capturing that reality is one of the best things about this movie.

WONDER WOMAN is a film so good and thorough in building its title character that it actually makes you think about the world through Diana’s eyes after this story ends. And it might make you weep a bit, for her and for history. I haven’t thought this much about a superhero’s place in history since the first CAPTAIN AMERICA movie, but even with him, I didn’t think much past how tough it must be for him to understand a cell phone. Cap was lucky; he got to sleep for decades and didn’t have to see the world or his country fall apart in bits and pieces. Wonder Woman was wide awake for all of the 20th century, and I hope that future installments of her solo films jump back and show us her adventures during World War II, the 1960s, the Reagan years, etc. I want to watch as the times try to break Diana down and she emerges victorious.

Harry falls madly in love with Etta Candy & the whole of Patty Jenkins' WONDER WOMAN!!!!
Published at: June 2, 2017, 4:37 a.m. CST by headgeek

"Wonder Woman" Just Destroyed Box Office Records, And Hollywood Should Never Be The Same
With a record-setting $100.5 million domestic debut, the first major female superhero movie in over a decade is poised to finally change the movie industry's backwards attitude toward women behind and in front of the camera.
Adam B. Vary
Posted on June 4, 2017

Wonder Woman — the first solo female superhero film in over a decade, and the first superhero movie period directed by a woman, Patty Jenkins — opened this weekend with an estimated $100.5 million at the domestic box office. Jenkins now holds the record for the best domestic box office debut for a female director, surpassing the $85.2 million earned in the opening weekend for Sam Taylor-Johnson's Fifty Shades of Grey in 2015. Add in $122.5 million in international grosses, and Wonder Woman has already earned more in one weekend than any other female superhero movie has made in its entire theatrical run.

In short, it's crashed through one of Hollywood's hardest and highest glass ceilings.

As if her box office record wasn't enough, Jenkins has accomplished something even more impressive: She is the first female filmmaker to successfully open an expensive, visual effects–driven action blockbuster — practically the only thing Hollywood studios seem to care about these days — in 20 years.

Before Wonder Woman, there was no such thing as a successful female superhero movie. Characters like Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow and Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique certainly figured into the success of their respective ensemble superhero films, but studios just did not believe that a woman could headline her own superhero movie on the wrongheaded belief that men wouldn't go see it because it was a woman in the lead, and women wouldn't go because it was a superhero movie.

Yeah, about that: According to Warner Bros., Wonder Woman's audience was 52% female, and 48% male, and both genders gave the film an "A" CinemaScore grade. It turns out the issue wasn't so much that people wouldn't go to female superhero movies — it's that people wouldn't go to female superhero movies that were bad.

09 Jun 2017 16:49 #9 by FredHayek
Going to see it at the new Alamo Drafthouse this Sunday with an all-male group. (Wink.) They wouldn't let us into the first showings. Excited. Sad to see that Tunisia and Lebanon are boycotting the film just because of the nationality of the lead actress. Still has a very high score from the Rotten Tomatoes.com website.

16 Jun 2017 22:35 #10 by ScienceChic
Finally got to see it with the family last weekend. Lil Science Dude and I thought it was great, DH thought it was predictable and boring, Lil Science Chic fell asleep (to be fair, it started at 9:30p). I knew all the spoilers going in, thankfully, so the ending didn't kill me.

I can't say that it's my new favorite movie, but I deeply appreciate how they wrote her character, the dialogue, the scenes, the relationships, and the development of the story. Gal Gadot was fantastic and Chris Pine did not mess up the movie for me. ;) Their compatriots were entertaining, the villain too easy and too blabby. I'll enjoy watching it again, but not as much as another favorite strong female bad ass, River Tam. If only...sigh...

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds