Shepherd Book Has Passed

26 Nov 2016 14:50 #1 by FredHayek
Ron Glass, the actor who played Shepherd Book in Firefly and the well dressed Officer Harris on Barney Miller the TV show has passed away at 71 this week. He played one of the more interesting characters on Firefly and I liked the way Captain Mal and him would spar over religion.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Nov 2016 20:04 #2 by ScienceChic
:sadbounce:
Ron Glass, ‘Barney Miller’ and ‘Firefly’ Actor, Dies at 71 (Updated)
Glass was also known for appearances on “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and “Friends”
Joe Otterson | November 26, 2016 @ 12:51 PM

Ron Glass, known for his roles on “Barney Miller” and “Firefly,” has died at age 71, TheWrap has confirmed.

Glass was born in Evansville, Indiana, and made his onscreen debut in a 1973 guest spot on “All in the Family.” He would go on to appear on numerous shows over the next few years, including “Maude,” “Hawaii 5-0” and “The Bob Newhart Show.”

Sci-fi fans best know Glass for playing Shepherd Derrial Book on Joss Whedon’s short-lived series “Firefly” and its followup movie “Serenity.” Book’s sage-like wisdom frequently provided the renegade space crew the spiritual guidance they needed.

In addition to his work as an actor, Glass was a leader in the California Buddhist community. He was a prominent member of the Soka Gakkai International, a lay Buddhist organization.

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.

Zoë: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killin'?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Shepard Book: I don't care what you believe in, just believe in it.

Mal: Well, what about you, Shepherd? How come you're flying about with us brigands? I mean, shouldn't you be off bringing religiosity to the fuzzy-wuzzies or some such?
Book: Oh, I got heathens aplenty right here.
Mal: If I'm your mission, Shepherd, best give it up. You're welcome on my boat. God ain't.

Inara: So would you like to lecture me on the wickedness of my ways?
Book: I brought you some supper. But if you’d prefer a lecture I have a few very catchy ones prepped. Sin and hellfire. One has lepers.
Inara: I think I’ll pass.

"Firefly: Jaynestown (#1.4)" (2002)
Book: What are we up to, sweetheart?
River Tam: Fixing your Bible.
Book: I, um...
[alarmed]
Book: What?
River Tam: Bible's broken. Contradictions, false logistics - doesn't make sense.
[she's marked up the bible, crossed out passages and torn out pages]
Book: No, no. You-you-you can't...
River Tam: So we'll integrate non-progressional evolution theory with God's creation of Eden. Eleven inherent metaphoric parallels already there. Eleven. Important number. Prime number. One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. Noah's ark is a problem.
Book: Really?
River Tam: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit 5000 species of mammal on the same boat.
[rips out page]

Book: River, you don't fix the Bible.
River: It's broken. It doesn't make sense.
Book: It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you.

www.imdb.com/character/ch0003820/quotes
www.planetclaire.tv/quotes/firefly/shepherd-book/

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds