Star Wars: The Last Jedi

14 Apr 2017 23:48 #1 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2017 14:48 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Excited to see this one.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Oct 2017 17:25 #3 by ScienceChic
Thoughts below, in case you don't want to consider any possible spoilers...

I've read some articles dissecting what was shown here. The observation that Luke seems afraid of Rey is pretty universal, and the theory that it was she who destroyed his Jedi school, not Kylo Ren, is intriguing. Supposedly, the reason she was dumped on an obscure planet wasn't to protect her, but to protect everyone else by hiding her from Snoke who had noticed her and started planning her future as a weapon against the Jedi. Your thoughts?

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi': 3 Big Questions We Have After That New Trailer

Some other crazy fan theories:
‘Snoke is Anakin's father’: readers' Star Wars: The Last Jedi theories

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Nov 2017 12:13 #4 by FredHayek
The new trailer does seem to raise more questions than it answers. Still interested to see the movie. Hopefully they do not blow up the Death Star again. Maybe they should have killed off Carrie Fisher in the last movie, Harrison Ford seemed to still be going strong, if slower in Bladerunner II.

10 Dec 2017 14:58 #5 by ScienceChic
:luke: We just purchased our tickets :yess: can't wait!!!
'The Last Jedi' first premiere reactions are here and - you guessed it - the Force is strong
By Laura Prudom
14 hours ago

Star Wars: The Last Jedi held its star-studded world premiere at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on Saturday night, and the credits had barely finished rolling before attendees hit Twitter to share their first reactions to Rian Johnson's take on the Skywalker saga.

While spoilers and plot details are under strict embargo until Dec. 12 at 9 a.m. PT, that didn't stop fans from weighing in on the tone of the movie, which has drawn inevitable comparisons to the second (and most critically acclaimed) film in George Lucas' original Star Wars trilogy, The Empire Strikes Back.

SEE ALSO: Presenting everything we think will happen in 'The Last Jedi'

Did The Last Jedi live up to the hype? And will it measure up to our bold prediction that it will become the best-reviewed Star Wars film of all time? Sure seems that way.

11 Dec 2017 09:33 #6 by FredHayek
Going to see it Thursday night. Fingers crossed.

16 Dec 2017 14:33 #7 by FredHayek
Did not like it as much as I expected. They did have some cool scenes like the alien race horse stampede, but I felt the (Spoiler alert), film did not advance the series, except for Luke coming back, they are in much worse shape than before. And Kylo Ren is too much of a wimp to be a great villain.

16 Dec 2017 18:19 #8 by ScienceChic
I'm sorry to hear it disappointed you FH. Though it was slow in a couple of spots and I felt 2 sequences in particular weren't timed well (Vice Admiral Holdo in charge of the star cruiser and the Millenium Falcon, both at the end of each sequence and explained in further detail below), I absolutely loved this movie and thought it was a great balance of giving us what we expected and tossing in surprising twists. It is a continuation, not a climax, and the forces of good are struggling mightily but it sets up that the continuation will go for generations.

My 3 favorite scenes - caution!!! Do not click if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to read any spoilers before doing so!
1. The opening sequence -
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

2. Luke throwing shade

3. R2D2

My complaints:
1. Porgs. Useless additions to the movie other than to drive merchandise sales so they can fund the next one. Ugh.
2. Kylo Ren

3. Vice Admiral Holdo

4. The Millenium Falcon

To anyone who hasn't gone to see this yet, do it! Don't bother with 3-D just because you think you should for a big presentation such as this. The family and I saw it in IMAX and that was perfectly fine. BB-8 is even more bad-ass than ever, the humor was spot-on, we got great performances by Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, spectacular big battles and light-saber duels, and poignant reminders of why this franchise will always be in our hearts. You'll enjoy a great film, be entertained, get hit in the feels, and leave with hope for the future.

And now for some other reviews with the ones I liked best first. Do not read them until after you see the movie! Truly - go see it without any spoilers in your head. You'll have a better time if you do. And May the Force Be With You, Always.
:luke:
'The Last Jedi' destroyed me and I am not OK: How to process the big surprise
By Chris Taylor
December 15, 2017

WARNING! In case it wasn’t clear from the headline, this is only for people who’ve seen The Last Jedi already. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT! Save this page for when you have, and move on.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Offers the Harsh Condemnation of Mansplaining We Need in 2017
by Joanna Robinson
December 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Speaking about her character’s stylish-yet-firm leadership, Dern told Vanity Fair: “[Rian is] saying something that’s been a true challenge in feminism. Are we going to lead and be who we are as women in our femininity? Or are we going to dress up in a boy’s clothes to do the boy’s job? I think we’re waking up to what we want feminism to look like.”

Women's Stories Are More Prominent Than Ever in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
By Caitlin Busch on December 15, 2017

General Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher), Vice Admiral Holdo (Laura Dern), Rey (Daisy Ridley), and Rose Tico (Kelly Marie Tran) steal the show in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. It is easily the most feminist Star Wars movie to date; its female identifying characters are given agency beyond men, interact with one other outside of the context of men, have their own relationships with one another, and lead the charge while doing so.

Side note: feminism isn’t just about people who identify as women. The film’s main male characters — Finn, Poe Dameron, Kylo Ren, and Luke Skywalker — were all allowed their own room to grow and change and feel their feelings, which is a subject that more male-focused feminism often looks at. In our world, men are often told time and time again that they’re not allowed to feel emotion; the guys in The Last Jedi were not only allowed to feel emotion but encouraged to, and that’s lovely.

But, back to what we’re really talking about here. The women of Star Wars: The Last Jedi are fantastically complicated and redefine what it means to be a female character in the Star Wars universe. Let’s celebrate just how wonderful they all are and what makes them so wonderful in the first place.

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI review: Wheels and Precious Roy chime in! SPOILERS!
Published at: Dec. 15, 2017, 3:01 p.m. CST by Precious Roy

Hi folks, Precious Roy here with my friend and fellow contributor Wheels… since our reviews come from opening night, we decided to share a column and talk it out!

PRECIOUS ROY: I think this is far and away the best Star Wars film in the series. I’ve heard some reviewers say that, and I’ve heard some disagree with that. But nothing George Lucas has made has yet been on par with this film, and certainly not STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS. For me, it’s not even close. For its time, STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK may have had more oomph, and certainly a better sense of romance. But take away those big reveals, and the great film that remains is not in the same league as this one.

WHEELS: I think it's one of the strongest Star Wars films. It's odd but at this point, we have to sort of stop seeing them as special events now. There will be at least one Star Wars film every year for the foreseeable future. This means there will be good ones and bad ones, and that's okay. STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI is easily one of the best Star Wars movies so far. I don't know if it's better than Episode V. It is a shining example of why bringing in fresh talent with bold new ideas was a good call by Disney. Rian Johnson has created an immensely entertaining film with few flaws and has cause Star Wars to feel fresher and more vital than it has since the original trilogy. It very well could be the best Star Wars film but that will take more than one viewing of the film to determine that... but it is on par with the very best of the franchise.

Attachments:

17 Dec 2017 12:23 - 18 Dec 2017 11:32 #9 by FredHayek
The critics loved this movie, 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I do wonder if it will be ranked so highly next year. Spoiler alert: the film does not advance the plot, it is a smackdown on the Rebel Scum, and Luke
so a handful of survivors can escape. And anyone else think Skywalker was out of character for the movie? I understand why a person will change after a few decades, but then he turns back right away.

And some people think this Star Wars movie is so empowering to women, did they forget about the first one? Princess Leia gets the plans to the Death Star, sends out R2D2 to find Obi Wan with the plans, then realizes their escape from the Death Star was permitted to lead the Empire to the rebel base. She was the prime mover in the first film.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds