Star Trek: Discovery

19 May 2017 13:51 #1 by ScienceChic
Beautiful bold colors, themes of leadership, the always present exploration and curiosity - love it!

Discovery Unveils First Look Trailer & Key Art
StarTrek.com Staff
May 17, 2017

Sonequa Martin-Green, the star of Star Trek: Discovery, unveiled the first-look trailer and key art for the new series earlier today at the CBS Upfront presentation at Carnegie Hall in New York City.

The series will feature 15 episodes, up from the previously announced 13, and will be complemented by a companion after-show, Talking Trek, to be presented on CBS All Access.

Published on May 17, 2017
Before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise there was Discovery. Now, one of the most iconic and influential global franchises returns to television with Star Trek: Discovery. The CBS All Access Original Series arrives this Fall.
Learn more: cbs.com/startrek

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 May 2017 14:02 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Star Trek: Discovery
And THIS is why I love Star Trek so much. Moreso than Star Wars, I believe Star Trek has touched more lives, and improved our society for the better, over the decades simply by leading by example. Showing how life should be, giving us something to strive for, and challenging the status quo. Bravo to the show creators for this newest installment, I can't wait to watch!

"The fact is, many people — and many Americans — speak like Michelle Yeoh does, with a bit of an accent. That's okay. We're a multicultural country, and we should celebrate our differences. We're a country of immigrants. In this political climate, it’s so important to remember that. And Star Trek: Discovery is giving us another reminder of what we value. It's the show we need right now."

On Star Trek: Discovery and Michelle Yeoh's accent
Swapna Krishna
Fri, May 19, 2017 11:00am

The trailer was, quite simply, spectacular, setting the stage for an exciting new series. I could go into the ins and outs, breaking down the trailer and analyzing each and every scene, character and setting — but that's not why I'm writing this.

This article is about one specific moment in the trailer: when Michelle Yeoh's character, Captain Philippa Georgiou, speaks for the first time.

This line might seem innocuous, and it is. But that didn't stop me from bursting into tears the second I heard Yeoh deliver the line. Why?

Because Michelle Yeoh kept her accent.

As a young girl of color, Star Trek was the first place I can remember seeing myself represented. Through characters like Uhura, Sulu and Geordi LaForge, I saw people that looked a little like me — that shared the first thing people notice about me, a darker skin color — and for the first time understood that I could achieve anything, even serve on a starship. I, and people who looked like me, existed in this future. It was one of the major forces that shaped my childhood and the adult I have become.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Jul 2017 13:38 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Star Trek: Discovery
There's so much good stuff coming out of Comic Con that I hardly know where to begin! I think I'll start with this, because Star Trek rules. :biggrin:

'Star Trek Discovery' stars Spock's stepsister and the 'most f*cked up Captain ever'
By Chris Taylor
18 hours ago

That sound you just heard was the heads of every Star Trek fan exploding as details of their new show dropped at Comic-Con.

Not least of which was the fact that Spock now has a stepsister, and she's the star of the show.

"We're trying to show how conflict is solved by peace," executive producer Aaron Harberts said. "At the end of day it's about understanding each other."

As part of that ethos, the show's bad guys — the Klingons — will be shown in a more positive light than ever before. "They're not the thugs of the universe," said producer Gretchen Berg.

Good news, Trekkies: they'll be speaking Klingon with English subtitles.

07 Aug 2017 08:51 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Star Trek: Discovery
I hope this will be good. Patrick Stewart spoke with an accent! More excited about "Orville", a Galaxy Quest style Star Trek parody by the guy who brought you Family Guy. Star Trek is so ripe for parody.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds