Captain Marvel - March 2019

25 Sep 2018 20:55 #1 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Dec 2018 15:51 #2 by ScienceChic
Exploring more of her origin story...I laughed at Fury being all sweet with the kitteh! :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

07 Jan 2019 23:08 #3 by ScienceChic

09 Jan 2019 15:38 #4 by FredHayek
And the Shazam Captain Marvel is also coming soon. This is going to get so confusing. The DC one looks much more like a comedy, but the Marvel Captain Marvel will likely have good gags too.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Mar 2019 09:40 #5 by FredHayek
Going to see it on Sunday. Reviews from friends say it is above average and pretty much stands alone from the Avengers universe.

08 Mar 2019 10:27 #6 by ScienceChic
The family and I went last night to the first available showing and I thought it was awesome! The opening montage made me cry (damn you Marvel) and the entire audience clap, and I loved how they dealt with her amnesia and coming to understand who she was and what she was capable of. And the moment when she realized her full potential was my favorite part of the movie!

This is not just her origin story, but Fury's as well, and it left me even more curious as to what events shaped him in the years between this and Iron Man that made him who we've seen up to this point. So much rich material there if only there were time to delve into it. He is not the stoic, jaded badass that we've known, but we do see his intelligence, open-mindedness, quick-thinking, and big-picture, far ahead planning demonstrated here, cementing the core of who he is.

The comedy was well balanced - not overdone like in Thor Ragnarok, and interjected in the right spots to build/reveal relationships. Her best friend's daughter was the bomb as was Orion the cat. OMG!

Walking out of the movie, my son and I spent the whole car ride home trying to figure out timelines with respect to a certain object - you'll know what we mean when you see the movie and it's revealed. And THAT is what a movie should do for you - get you thinking more about it and having fun conversations with fellow fans (and family).

There are 2 post-scene credits. The first is more important than the 2nd, but the 2nd will make you laugh.

Now I'm more curious at what they have cooked up for Endgame and for that I am thankful considering how Infinity War made me feel the complete opposite of that emotion. Until next month!!

11 Mar 2019 10:15 #7 by FredHayek
Better than I was expecting, and it really helps to setup Endgame. I do think the lead became too powerful too soon, but when you are going against Thanos you need every advantage. A couple twists in this film I didn't figure out but I enjoyed them.

17 Mar 2019 18:28 #8 by ScienceChic
I'm glad you enjoyed it FH! Hubby keeps saying how good he thought it was, and he's not a fan of the movies I typically like so I think that says a lot (and it warms meh heart)! Box office receipts show it dropped 54% in its second weekend, which is less than the drop by Infinity War, Antman and The Wasp, Spiderman: Homecoming, and Captain America: The First Avenger (misnomer?). Yay!

We may go see it again before it leaves the theatre, and then it's on to Endgame! Tickets aren't on sale for that yet <drumming fingers>...

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds