Rest In Peace Rip Torn

09 Jul 2019 22:13 #1 by ScienceChic
My daughter saw the previews for the new Men In Black movie and though she's not much for the silver screen or TV, she not only wanted to go see it, but watch all of the previous MIB movies before going. So quite happily, I got to introduce his comedic talent to her (along with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones). For some reason, I thought he'd already passed (since he wasn't in the 3rd MIB); I was surprised and saddened to see this news come across tonight.

Rip Torn, Artie the Producer on 'The Larry Sanders Show,' Dies at 88
7:40 PM PDT 7/9/2019 by Mike Barnes

The respected Emmy winner and Oscar and Tony nominee always aimed for authenticity but had a reputation as a trouble-maker.

Rip Torn, the tenacious, temperamental Texan whose much-admired career was highlighted by his brilliant turn as Artie the producer on HBO's The Larry Sanders Show, died Tuesday. He was 88.

Torn, who was nominated for an Oscar for portraying the hard-drinking father Marsh opposite Mary Steenburgen in the 1984 Martin Ritt drama Cross Creek, died peacefully at his home in Lakeville, Connecticut, his publicist announced.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jul 2019 09:25 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Rest In Peace Rip Torn
RIP to Rip.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Jul 2019 09:25 #3 by FredHayek
How was that latest MIB?
Tempted to find the original comics. Love the history.

10 Jul 2019 11:17 #4 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Rest In Peace Rip Torn
Quite entertaining! We went in not expecting much based on the reviews, but it was fun, made us laugh, and we enjoyed it. It did drag in parts, and was predictable, but not nearly as bad as the critics made it out to be.

Emma Thompson is da bomb. B)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Jul 2019 15:11 #5 by FredHayek

ScienceChic wrote: Quite entertaining! We went in not expecting much based on the reviews, but it was fun, made us laugh, and we enjoyed it. It did drag in parts, and was predictable, but not nearly as bad as the critics made it out to be.

Emma Thompson is da bomb. B)

Think I can still catch it in the theaters, and in this heat, a/c can make up the cost of a matinee.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds