Midsomar Film

17 Jul 2019 11:39 #1 by FredHayek
Midsomar Film was created by FredHayek
Got to see this movie a couple weeks ago and I am still thinking about it. Haunting.

A woman is trying to recover from a horrific family tragedy, her insensitive boyfriend invites her on a two vacation to Sweden to witness and participate in a rural festival. In a style called "folk horror, which means city people getting caught up in rural cults and religions, like "the Wicker Man". Things start going badly quickly thanks to PTSD, bad mushroom overdoses, and being unable to find their friends. Two in the group are working on master's thesis's about this village and their culture and this is the 90th anniversary of a special ceremony.
Already messed up by the 24 hour sun, more drugs, booze, bizarre food, and witnessing euthanasia traditions make this a very spooky and enthralling film. Not for the kids! The film has been doing well enough that they are about to release a version that will be 30 minutes longer. Might have to go see it again. And viewing tip, if you know your runes, you will be ahead of other people in the theater, because the folk artwork gives hints about the future.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jul 2019 17:55 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Midsomar Film
Sounds interesting. Thanks FH!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Jul 2019 09:40 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Midsomar Film
For many movies, you forget about them after leaving the parking lot. This film has had me thinking about it for weeks.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds