Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5, 2020

07 Dec 2020 17:39 #11 by homeagain
HM-M-M.....how does the movie theater thing work...people eating popcorn and sipping their drinks without
mask,in a crowed enclosed space....I don't understand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Dec 2020 21:25 #12 by ScienceChic
I'm going to be watching it at home on HBO Max, but if anyone were going to the theatre, I'd recommend skipping the food and drink to keep masks on the entire time, and renting the theatre to have it to yourselves/family, or going where there's as few other people attending as possible.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Dec 2020 14:22 #13 by FredHayek
There hasn't been much evidence of theatergoers infecting others, but that is likely due to how few theaters were open most of the year and when we went to movies, we were often the only ones in the theater.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

28 Dec 2020 18:48 #14 by ScienceChic
The family and I watched this at home on Christmas night, and overall I would say it was enjoyable, not as good as the first movie, dragged slowly in spots, had fun action in others, and I, too, was troubled by this point raised in this Mashable writeup. Warning: Spoilers contained within if you haven't seen it yet and want to go in without knowing any plot points.

We need to talk about that 'handsome man' in 'Wonder Woman 1984'
By Amanda Yeo, Mashable | December 28, 2020

Set over half a century after 2017's Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman 1984 catches up with the titular hero in a time of shoulder pads, crimped hair, and jazzercise. The sequel sees Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) reunite with her long lost love interest Steve Trevor (Chris Pine), and come up against new characters Barbara Ann Minerva (Kirsten Wiig) and Maxwell Lord (Pedro Pascal).

It’s a fun film, and a decent night in. Even so, Wonder Woman 1984 raises numerous troubling questions that are never satisfactorily answered — with significant ones revolving around one character only listed in the credits as "Handsome Man."

We’re going to be talking about some major plot points from here on out, so consider this your big ol’ spoiler alert. You’ve been warned.

Warning: spoilers in this one as well:
'Wonder Woman 1984' Is a Fun Sequel That Loses Some of the Original's Glory
By Esther Zuckerman, Thrillist | Published on 12/15/2020

What happens when a movie about '80s excess gets bogged down in, well, too much excess? The answer can be found in Wonder Woman 1984, a fun, but messy follow-up to the Amazonian superhero's 2017 re-introduction starring Gal Gadot and directed by Patty Jenkins. There's a lot to love in WW84: bold performances from a delightful cast, fantastic costumes, Jenkins' fast-paced direction. But it's in service of a plot that loses sight of what makes the character so great in the first place.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Dec 2020 10:22 #15 by FredHayek
The reviews haven't been great but I do plan to see it once theaters open up. I read a comment from Gal Gadot this week saying downloading the movie is fine but it just isn't the same as going to the theater. I agree. It is much more of a special event at the movie house instead of just killing time watching something at home.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds