Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

23 Dec 2019 17:40 #1 by ScienceChic
A wonderful friend gifted my boy and I some passes at the last minute to go see Star Wars on opening night, and we ended up arriving just as previews began (which went an agonizing full half hour). It's amazing the nostalgia and memories that those first few notes of the theme music kick up in the brain and heart, bittersweet and anticipatory all at once.

I tried not to overthink it but simply enjoy what was the last movie of this storyline. And enjoyable it was. Without giving away any spoilers, I will say it tied up the story nicely, was satisfying, and had more than a few emotional moments. The "shockers" weren't truly mind-twisting, but fit the story well.

Do NOT read this if you don't want to know any spoilers before you go see it yourself.
The 12 most shocking moments in 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker'
By Alexis Nedd and Proma Khosla
10 hours ago
This post contains spoilers for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Big ones.

One thing I would like to address, and can't go into too much detail on just yet because, again, of spoilers, is this tone-deaf, "Woke" review on the movie by Star Wars Shadow Council:
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Glorifies Abuse and Assault Against Women.

No, it does not, and this kind of take on it frustrates me - it's one-sided and finding only fault in order to push a narrative instead of considering the movie as a whole, what the other female characters did, and all of the relationships portrayed in the series in the context of the storyline and setting (hello, Luke and Leia, Luke and Anakin, Han and Leia, Anakin and Padme, Vice Admiral Holdo and Poe, Jannah and her crew). I was heartened to see so much pushback on their Twitter post of this review, but disappointed in seeing it twisted by what I can best describe as social justice warriors. The person who wrote this review is taking a beloved canon and using select scenes in a sloppy, poorly backed essay to justify their outrage at real life (or simply to get clicks).

Should we have conversations about the depiction of women in film and how it influences society's perception of women, and vice versa? Yes, absolutely. But let's include every character in all of the films, the challenges they face and actions they take, and what those scenes represent in the big picture, not just one female character.

I give it 4 :luke: light-saber duels out of 5.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: HappyCamper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Dec 2019 08:26 #2 by FredHayek
Won't be able to see it for a while but am curious if you think this film made the two films before it worthless or unnecessary?

And another complaint, in the MCU, all the plots seemed to have been planned out despite having so many films and ancillary films. But here it looks like nothing is planned and the movies don't fit together very well. Hopefully the next batch of Star Wars flicks have a clearer vision.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Dec 2019 14:04 #3 by ScienceChic
I've seen some people saying that, but I don't think it does. There are certainly actions taken in this film directly because of events in the previous two films; I'd think that anyone going in to see this one without seeing The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi would miss out on quite a bit of back story.

I do agree with the complaint in your second paragraph and I'm not sure why it is that Star Wars has suffered so. The MCU has had multiple directors all bringing their own perspective and influence, as did Harry Potter, but both of those benefited from having one over-arching person/source (Kevin Fiege and JK Rowling, respectively) that oversaw production and helped keep continuity. Perhaps that is what Star Wars is in need of? Star Trek has certainly suffered the same issue, but it's not based on an enormous volume of written works from which to pull either.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Dec 2019 07:40 #4 by homeagain
The last STAR WARS episode I saw.....where Leia (adult and much older)was re introduced....it
was good to see the aging of the characters....I am a trekkie,so have not see that many installments of the series.

HAVE read many reviews (mixed).....generally it seems the story line was disjointed and disappointing for fans. The "series" did not satisfy the need for a closure?

30 Dec 2019 12:32 #5 by FredHayek
The film was much better than I was expecting. It definitely tried to hit all the bases, going back to locations and characters from the other films. Made me quite nostalgic.

04 Jan 2020 22:04 #6 by ScienceChic
Homeagain, I think it did a good job on providing closure, but that's just me.

I went back and saw it again with the rest of the family and enjoyed a little more than the first time. I definitely caught some more nuanced lines and scenes, especially in regards to Finn and his Force sensitivity.

15 Jan 2020 14:31 #7 by FredHayek
Agree, was better on a second viewing. They were trying to cram so much at you initially, you can pick up on much more the second time.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds