Lee Mendelson, ‘Peanuts’ Producer & ‘Christmas Time Is Here’ Co-Writer, has Died

27 Dec 2019 19:28 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Lee Mendelson, ‘Peanuts’ Producer and ‘Christmas Time Is Here’ Co-Writer, Dead at 86
Longtime collaborator of Charles Schulz who produced A Charlie Brown Christmas died on Christmas Day
By Daniel Kreps, Rolling Stone Magazine | December 27, 2019

Lee Mendelson, the longtime producer of Peanuts TV specials who wrote the lyrics for the yuletide classic “Christmas Time Is Here,” died on Christmas Day at the age of 86.

Mendelson’s sons confirmed the A Charlie Brown Christmas producer’s death following a long battle with lung cancer to the Palo Alto Daily Post. “It wasn’t great for us, but to have him pass on Christmas really ties into his history and legacy,” his sons said.

Mendelson first linked up with Peanuts creator Charles Schulz after the cartoonist saw Mendelson’s documentary about baseball legend Willie Mays in 1963. The plan originally was for Mendelson’s production company to make a documentary about the Peanuts comic strip, but the two instead decided to create the now-classic A Charlie Brown Christmas.

“Guaraldi had written a very beautiful melody for the opening skating scene, but about two weeks before it was about to run on the air, I thought, ‘Maybe we could get a lyricist to put some words to this,’” Mendelson told Rolling Stone in 2015.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Dec 2019 12:28 #2 by FredHayek
Great legacy. Every year, decades later, people get to hear your words.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds