WHY not participate?

24 Mar 2020 14:13 #1 by homeagain
SC......I have attempted to post OTHER subjects...light hearted, inclusive of other topics other than politics.....NO participation.....it is a puzzling
piece of human nature....things have to be controversial or there is NO response....I'm weary of words praising TRUMP when he is not
being truthful or presidential, integrity is a word that is almost extinct. I have a hard time with that. I understand the desire to move forward
and be more positive.... from my pov...this scenario we are in is a necessary experience to produce an evolution....that otherwise wouldnot
have happened. Just my 2 cents....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Mar 2020 14:17 #2 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic WHY not participate?
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" Hamlet Act III Scene 2.

24 Mar 2020 16:02 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic WHY not participate?
I know you have homeagain, and I deeply, deeply appreciate that you have. It honestly puzzles me as well (has for a long time, truth be told) and the only thing I can figure is that despite our continually increasing number of visitors to the site, most people view MMT as an information resource, not as a place to participate/share their information (having to login is a barrier, whereas everyone stays logged into Facebook/Instagram/SnapChat/etc so it's easier to open the app, get tons of content and engage with little effort). The days of the Forums being the primary place to connect, get information, and chat online has faded - Facebook, Instagram, instant messaging, Twitter, and NextDoor are all the rage now.

It saddens me because I miss all of the fun conversations we used to have, and none of those other sites mentioned above are local so people using them instead of MMT means they aren't supporting their online community resource that actually gives back to the community, but it is what it is - neither negative nor positive, but simply the way it is. We either adapt and change, or we disappear; thus is the life cycle of businesses.

Before this outbreak hit, I was working on radically re-designing the website to better mold the site into what we've become for the community, but that's now on hold as I wait to see how many of our advertisers are able to stick through this with us. I bought this business as we were recovering from the 2008 recession, and deliberately kept our advertising costs low over all these years in order to be available to more local small businesses, so we don't have tons of reserves. We don't have the overhead that brick and mortar stores have, but we have monthly operating costs that we have to cover nonetheless, and marketing budgets are usually considered expendable in comparison to rent, insurance, employees, raw materials, equipment service, etc - which I absolutely understand, it would be my choice as well if faced with that.

I'm contemplating some ideas for new things we can offer that businesses might be willing to pay for, or maybe we institute a donation option where community members can chip in if they'd like to help support our services like the webcams and daily weather forecasts, or get some sort of special access to new services? If you have any ideas, I'm all ears! :) I'd dearly love more people participating in good conversations here so if you have friends you think would enjoy the banter, please encourage them to sign up and join in! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Mar 2020 17:21 #4 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic WHY not participate?
Because I',m a almost grey,geriatric WOW(wiser older woman)...I do not use social media,
I find it an invasion of privacy (not that there is any)....I am dis connected and I do not need
the intrusion. SO, I forget the competition U are facing....the fact is..Facebook is faulty in so
many ways,I simply do not understand the continuing popularity. I'm an oddity, I don't even have a
cell phone...don't want to be found....GPS TRACKING, not something I want to sign up for.

25 Mar 2020 08:39 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic WHY not participate?

homeagain wrote: Because I',m a almost grey,geriatric WOW(wiser older woman)...I do not use social media,
I find it an invasion of privacy (not that there is any)....I am dis connected and I do not need
the intrusion. SO, I forget the competition U are facing....the fact is..Facebook is faulty in so
many ways,I simply do not understand the continuing popularity. I'm an oddity, I don't even have a
cell phone...don't want to be found....GPS TRACKING, not something I want to sign up for.

This is social media.
It is just early social media.

I do share your concerns about Facebook and cell phones. I have seen it before that after talking with someone about something, ads start to pop up in facebook and other social media sites.

If you ever decide to go into social media, maybe try Twitter. I find it a good place to get breaking news. Just follow the press you like and certain reporters you trust. I also add comedians for laughs and sometimes just other people like me and people totally unlike me to help put a finger on the pulse of the nation. It has been very handy right now and during the primaries.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Mar 2020 18:01 #6 by DavisRanch
Replied by DavisRanch on topic WHY not participate?
I wonder if the change is due to how our community has changed. Back before Facebook, in today’s of Pinecam, we connected on a different level. Our mountain was smaller. We knew each other, even though we had nicknames online.
When FB came along and Pinecam went to hell, I quit visiting there completely and here less and less. Mostly because on FB, I can talk to friends and family globally, while this area grew and expanded. We used to go somewhere like the grocery or a restaurant, and I’d know 80-90% of the people. Now, I know 1-5% of them, and that may be due to knowing the waitstaff or cashiers. It’s a different world is all.
How to fix it, get folks back on here? I’ll think about that since I’m guilty of being absent. I miss the conversations and the friendliness of that time and would love to get back to a local forum!

25 Mar 2020 19:06 #7 by homeagain
:) HI there.....good to have another familiar "face"...I'm on the western slope now and boxed up
all my books over.....YOURS included. Did U weave another story?

27 Mar 2020 16:41 #8 by DavisRanch
Replied by DavisRanch on topic WHY not participate?
Hi Homeagain! I've written and published three books; two are nonfiction horse books "101 Ways to Die with a Horse or Live Happily Ever After," and "Trail Riding, Happily Ever After,"as well as "White Horse," which I think you have. I have one to be published soon, "You and Your Horse, Happily Ever After," and a novel in the works that's a Fantasy (new genre for me) called "Horses, Dragons and Dogs."

I hope you are enjoying the Western Slope and living life to the fullest! What are you up to these days?

I'll come on here more often and see who I can drag in; people are so used to other platforms, it's hard to remember to come back to the home base!

27 Mar 2020 17:33 #9 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic WHY not participate?
I'm :blush: embarrassed to admit I have your "101 Ways to Die with a Horse or Live Happily Ever After" and I've not sat down to read it yet - I will though, I promise!

I live vicariously through your photos Tanya. I think I would really enjoy riding if I could get comfortable, but the few times I've been on a horse, something's gone wrong (nothing serious, just one horse that kept trying to go off trail, and another time where my saddle was too loose and it slid sideways down the horse with me in it), and knowing the power they have intimidates me enough that I feel nervous the entire time so I don't have as much fun as I should or could.

Homeagain, do you ever tour the wineries out there on the Western slope? It's been forever since I was out that way (Grand Junction, 2012).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Mar 2020 18:46 #10 by homeagain
OH, we hit those the FIRST THING......Canyon Winds was the best, but they closed down about 2yrs ago...they were right out of Palisade by rivers edge....it was cool to tour their cellars,as
they were naturally cooled by the river......we found that CREEKSIDE Winery in Evergreen was
by far the top....5 star.....very low sulfates,(wine usually gives me a headache)....Miss going to
EVERGREEN and sitting by the giggling creek and the breeze brushing the trees...GOOD FOOD
too....Palisade Wine Festival is the BIG event, gets too crowded tho.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds