After Life

17 Jun 2021 10:19 #1 by FredHayek
After Life was created by FredHayek
Just discovered a nice little British sitcom called "After Life". A man (Ricky Gervais), loses his wife to cancer and it devastates him. The show slowly reveals their life together as the wife makes video diaries to help guide him after she has passed. I know what you are thinking, what kind of sitcom can generate laughs from cancer, death, suicidal thoughts, but this one does. Ricky's character works at a community newspaper where he interviews people for zany human interest stories, and his coworkers are a bunch of people who really don't belong but somehow they make it work. It isn't laugh out loud funny, but it is sweet, and makes you think about life and choices. Plus a big bonus, it doesn't have a laugh track. Two thumbs up!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jun 2021 09:55 #2 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic After Life
The Queen's Gambit
Filter by
All
Review menu icon
Profile image
Muhammed Ali Inamdar
6 months ago

''This will be the first review I ever write, and what compels me to do so is the fact that I am both, a performance arts as well as a chess enthusiast. Being a critic of the finest details, it must take something entirely else in a series for me to do this, and what follows may be treated as an objective idea on what this show has to offer.
This show, while concise, is both compelling in its theme and is at the same time a directional masterpiece. It takes something that is generally perceived as boring, chess, and with its brilliant pacing and terminologies understandable by everyone, along with nicks of cinematography, delivers a piece that is enjoyable by both who take interest in watching shows/movies as well as the classic game. The very well paced show, with its perfect runtime is neither too long nor too short, while not being too little or a little too detailed.
While yes, some may argue that in some ways the lack of describing precise terminologies and explanations of chess ideas may seem a little less convincing of if the show knows what it's doing, it does so to maintain its rhythm, and in that does a fantastically fine job. And here is where the show really stands out. It balances the concepts of chess that could be considered too theoretical for theatrics, with its highly refined scriptwriting and directional melodrama, giving it both a technical and an emotional edge which Anya Taylor has consistently held herself up to and delivered. Other noteworthy actors being Thomas Brodie and Harry Melling, giving very precise emotional aspect to the story with their own kicks as different modes of roles. Marcin DorociƄski has also done an amazing job by maintaining an intensity by just his looks and not to mention, such a limit''

THIS Netflix film is addictive....an orphan,who finds CHESS is her salvation....NOT stuffy and boring,but rather intriguing and well acted...I binged 1/2 of the limited series..it is TOO FRIGIN HOT HERE to
go outside. (I have been pretty productive tho, I have purged/organized 3 rooms so far. ONE LEFT to go.

19 Jun 2021 18:41 #3 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic After Life
HIGHLY recommend this Netflix "The Queen's Gambit"....not what U would expect and is a satisfying story
of "finding your highest best"

21 Jun 2021 08:57 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic After Life
:biggrin: .
The wife and I first started hearing the buzz about Queen's Gambit we weren't really sure we wanted to watch a show about chess. Very dry sounding. But we gave it a chance. and it was awesome! They showrunners told the story in a way that made the competitions compelling, especially after the lead overcame so many challenges.
And the show was a boon for the chess world. Stores everywhere sold out of chess sets during the pandemic, and play on the internet exploded.

So it not only gave the world an interesting drama to watch while we were locked inside, it also got hundreds of millions of people playing the game.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds