Ready Player Two

04 Jul 2021 10:36 #1 by FredHayek
Ready Player Two was created by FredHayek
The sequel to the book and movie is now out and it is a good adventure tale about an evil AI that tries to take over the world.
But more interesting to me is a concept brought up early in the novel. If they developed an virtual reality where you could actually taste gourmet meals, live in beautiful palaces, and have sex with anyone and feel it just like life, would everyone stay online all day long? In the book, they are limited to 12 hour stretches but most of humanity chooses to leave the "meat world" as often as they can and signs in as soon as they get up in the morning.
Personally I think only about 75% would abuse it, but I believe there would be a proud minority who insisted on experiencing real life. And there would be others who would try to limit their hours because they don't want to get addicted.
LOL, current virtual reality makes me nauseous, so I would probably be one of the ones who didn't partake.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jul 2021 11:56 #2 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Ready Player Two
Since I am not a "gamer",let alone a hi tek person (no cell phone here)....I would see the "innovation" as
absurd and offensive. I want the "feel" of silk sheets,I want the "feel' of the soft earth under my bare feet
I would want to feel,taste,smell the salty spray of a huge wave hitting a rocky shoreline. EVEN IF,they could do great sensory platform, I would get vertigo....kinda takes the thrill away. (What a desperately dire
existence that would be....living thru a screen.)

04 Jul 2021 19:35 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Ready Player Two
That is the point. If it felt just like regular life, wouldn't it be tempting? Especially if a 78 year old man with MS could run and jump again?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 Jul 2021 06:58 #4 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Ready Player Two
For some one like Stefan Hawkins,I would have wished THAT was available to him,for the general healthy
humans.....SAD scenario.. JMO

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds