Free Guy - August 13th

31 Jul 2021 18:22 #1 by ScienceChic
When I first saw the trailer for this, I thought it looked silly and not interesting. It's grown on me with subsequent trailers, plus it's Ryan Reynolds so there's that. :biggrin:

Free Guy Early Reactions Praise Ryan Reynolds' Fun & Heartwarming Film
The first Free Guy movie reactions have begun rolling out and are calling the Ryan Reynolds-led adventure the surprise hit of the summer.
By Grant Hermanns Published Jul 22, 2021

The sci-fi action comedy centers on Guy, a non-player character in an open-world video game entitled Free City who yearns for a better life. Upon meeting Milly, one of the developers behind the game, Guy learns of his real existence and decides to become the hero of his story and team up with Milly to save the game before publisher Antoine can shut it down.

www.20thcenturystudios.com/movies/free-guy

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Aug 2021 10:22 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Free Guy - August 13th
Like you, I wasn't expecting much but the movie went deeper than I expected. And I loved the inside joke that Ryan Reynolds character couldn't understand others breaking the 4th wall. The main reason I saw the movie was to see Jodie Comer in a different role. We have been watching her as a psychotic hitman in the series Killing Eve for years. It was nice seeing her with ethics and values.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

19 Aug 2021 10:34 #3 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Free Guy - August 13th
R U going to theaters to view? We were going to watch BLACK WIDOW on HBO PAY for view..$29.99
My DH about choked on the popcorn we bought special for "a date".

23 Aug 2021 09:45 - 23 Aug 2021 09:49 #4 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Free Guy - August 13th
Yes, we are. By the time we finally saw Black Widow, there were only 4 other people in the entire theatre with us. We picked an off time to go see Free Guy and again, it was mostly empty. It's no different than going shopping or eating out.

My review of Free Guy: like FH said, the deeper themes they explored really made the movie. Waititi played an excellent villain, Keyes transparently adorable, Comer delightful, Lil Rel Howery was fantastic as Guy's best friend (and essential for plot and character development), and Reynolds perfection with his comedic chops. My favorite part was the climactic fight scene and the special cameo that made me cheer and clap (I won't spoil it). The ending was too predictable but cute. All in all, I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Nov 2021 17:18 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Free Guy - August 13th
The theaters are still mostly empty. We saw "Soho" in an empty theater, the four of us were the only ones there. Private showing right? And our seats were disinfected after the movie.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds