LOTR at 20: Why Peter Jackson’s Trilogy Was One of Hollywood’s Riskiest Projects

07 Jan 2022 23:50 #1 by ScienceChic
This article was quite enlightening for all of the background into how the movie was made and marketed. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of my faves to watch.

‘Lord of the Rings’ at 20: Why Peter Jackson’s Trilogy Was One of Hollywood’s Riskiest Projects Ever
By Tim Gray, Variety | Dec 14, 2021

After success with several small-scale films, Peter Jackson in 1992 told Variety he was looking for a project “that will really push me.”

He found something that surpassed everyone’s expectations. This month marks the 20th anniversary of Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings,” which kicked off the 2001-2003 film trilogy based on the books by J.R.R. Tolkien.

In 2000, Jackson told Variety “LOTR” was “the Holy Grail of filmmaking, a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”

In retrospect, handing this massive project to Jackson seems like a no-brainer: great material for a great filmmaker. But in fact, there were so many unknown factors that it was immediately recognized as one of film history’s greatest gambles.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jan 2022 09:11 #2 by FredHayek
Interesting. I don't like some of the things Peter did to the books, but I am happy that the movies got more people to read the originals.
Looks like Prime is making a series about Middle Earth's 2nd Age. I will probably give it a chance.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds